Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-03-2005, 01:51 AM

Default True Christian Poker players?

At its heart Christianity is a religion based on loving your fellow man as yourself, turning the other cheek, etc.

At its heart Poker is a game based on taking everysingle one of your fellow man's chips, either through strategy or careful coniving. Your mission is to gain as much as possible, conincidently at the maximum expense of your opponents.

How can any follower of the Christian faith, namely the ones who claim to Christians in this forum but play poker, possible remedy this obvious moral contradicition?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: True Christian Poker players?

Poker is like Basketball, except instead of keeping points with baskets, you keep them with chips.

Christians can engage in competitive activities without contradicting their faith....the biblical comparison would be when a guy asked if he should quit being a Tax Collector and Jesus said "No, just be an HONEST tax collector"

There is a sportsman/Christian like conduct they should follow - like not being a [censored] bitch when they get sucked out on or getting really pissed and throwing cards or an angle player - but just playing for the competition - no that's not an issue.

If you wish to point out the contradictory nature of Christians who want to go overseas and kill Muslims - I have no problem with that - but not poker - that's a waste of our time.

I assure you, Christians catch enough [censored] from their own already - last thing they need is someone with no knowledge of their traditions trying to tell them it's Un-Christian to play poker.

RB
Old 12-03-2005, 02:22 AM

How can any follower of the Christian faith, namely the ones who claim to Christians in this forum but play poker, possible remedy this obvious moral contradicition?

Some threads on this issue:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...amp;sb=5&o=

Old 12-03-2005, 02:23 AM

I'm a devout Christian and have been a serious player for 5 years.

If you search for past posts of mine, you'll see long diatribes on this, but I donate 1/3 of my winnings to charities. i have a certain amount of "they'll gamble anyways" attitude, so I'm just moving a lot of their money from their losing hands into needy hands.

Josh
Old 12-03-2005, 03:20 AM

I think professional poker playing is unethical from an economic point of view moreso than a Christian point of view; you're getting money without giving any service back to society. The logical problem with the "they'll gamble anyways" thing is that a pro takes up the seat of what would otherwise be another slight loser, juicing the pots for the others with hands that the pro would fold. They then win more (or lose less) money, and have more money to put into the economy.

However, as a semi-serious player myself, I know the money makes you not really care, and I think it's quite commendable that you give a portion of your winnings to charity. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're getting money without giving any service back to society.

[/ QUOTE ] It's in the same league as buying a puzzle book or paying to watch a movie. When they play poker they get to chose to have their skill levels tested at a price of their choosing.

Players pay to play with pros as bridge partners, or could challenge Tiger Woods to a money match. Players could stay home and play against their neighbours kids for rice krispies. The pro serves the role of 'test provider', much more directly than the owner of the rock-climbing arcade in the mall does ( he doesn't have to do better than you at it before you'll pay him). Providing what people want is a providing a service.
[ QUOTE ]
and have more money to put into the economy.

[/ QUOTE ] The pro doesn't take the money home and put it under his bed. If a person is out playing poker it's often with money that would be sitting idle in their saving account. the pro will recycle it rapidly through the hookers and blackjack dealers.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:35 PM

"Render unto the rake that which is the house's"?
"River unto others as they would river unto you"?

Sounds better than body thetans.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:39 PM

You assume that people want to win money. Maybe they want to lose money! Maybe they want to lose money, <u> and don't know it. </u>
Old 12-04-2005, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You assume that people want to win money. Maybe they want to lose money! Maybe they want to lose money, <u> and don't know it. </u>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have so many hand histories that agree with this statement