Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Ever wonder why 2+2 is going downhill?

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's either a cap, or a fold, and I don't see much difference between the two.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVAN

I think there is a big difference.

Oh Mr. Moderator, since I see little difference in the two, rather than stating your opinion - how about adding some insight as to which is the clear choice and why - please enlighten me.

EVAN
1) Relax
2) I think saying that folding and cold capping are about the same needs a lot more explanation than saying that they aren't.

end quote

The upper quote is my answer in another thread. The reply is from our moderator Evan. Am I out of line to expect an actual explanation instead of a sarcastic, condescending reply - twice?

I expect the sarcasm from many posters at 2+2 (and I'm obviously guilty of it myself), but is it too much to ask that the moderators not join in threads with worthless, one line crap; and when asked for an explanation, that they don't again reply with crap?

2+2 is the best poker forum on the web, but the response to new posts is 80% drivel, and it doesn't help when those worthless responses come from moderators.

FWIW, in the future I'll try not to add any sarcastic replys - and will try to give actual fact, or at least my genuine opinion from practical experience to posts [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I hope the moderators will consider doing the same.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Ever wonder why 2+2 is going downhill?

I read a thread earlier I thought someone made a good comment on...

Too often threads becoming pissing contests where everyone tries to sound like an expert and bash everyone else.

I think we have alot of "gamers" (like online type, think StarCraft, Counterstrike, etc.) and this mentality of "l33tism" is prevelant in that community.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:24 PM

you state an opinion with no explanation. evan disagrees, expecting an explanation. you turn it around, expecting a couterargument from evan, though you've never argued your position in the first place.

yes, i see a problem with this thread.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:35 PM

I agree with Pete. Do I need to explain more, or be less sarcastic, because my name is in green?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you state an opinion with no explanation. evan disagrees, expecting an explanation. you turn it around, expecting a couterargument from evan, though you've never argued your position in the first place.

yes, i see a problem with this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you are right. I guess I should have said "I don't see a significant difference in monetary return between folding and capping. If I fold, I lose zero. If I cap, I expect a very small return in the longrun, so I don't see much difference between the two.

I actually thought my response was self-evident. Perhaps it was not.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM

i typed out a long post concerning this then deleted it. then i typed out another long post about something else and deleted that too. i didnt like anything i had to say so i wont say it. evan probably relates.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Pete. Do I need to explain more, or be less sarcastic, because my name is in green?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both.

I guess I would just like to be able to read a response (especially when it is from a moderator) that has some substance and redeeming value to it. Instead, a vast majority of responses state only an opinion that is not backed up with any facts or explanation (are are therefore worthless in most cases). Of course, this is just my opinion. Perhaps many people at 2+2 like reading just opinions.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i typed out a long post concerning this then deleted it. then i typed out another long post about something else and deleted that too. i didnt like anything i had to say so i wont say it. evan probably relates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I just delete my response then?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:49 PM

i know of quite a few posters that always post well developed responses that to me, are always self-evident. i often dont read their replies or i skim them to get to the good stuff. i realize however that to many other people their thoughts might not be self-evident, so they are doing them a service. lately when im replying to a thread i dont post self-evident reasoning when i know the op knows my thoughts. if i have something to say that i think someone might not take into account i say it. your reasoning for why the cap or fold doesnt matter is indeed self-evident, but i also think its wrong. evan's arguement is also likely self-evident. i personally appreciate it when posters reply to my threads with correct answers, whether they elaborate on them or not. twoplustwo isnt going downhill because of oneliners. people (usually) post oneliners because their thoughts are self-evident and dont do anybody a service.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both.

I guess I would just like to be able to read a response (especially when it is from a moderator) that has some substance and redeeming value to it. Instead, a vast majority of responses state only an opinion that is not backed up with any facts or explanation (are are therefore worthless in most cases). Of course, this is just my opinion. Perhaps many people at 2+2 like reading just opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had typed out why you thought capping and folding were the same in terms of EV, then I could figure out what's specifically wrong with what you're saying. With a oneliner post that is clearly wrong, though, I can't say much; it's akin to just posting the solution to a story problem in math rather than posting how you arrived at that solution. I attempted later in this thread to explain it to you, but you'll have to let me know if that helps or not.

Edit: I just found the source for your original disagreement, and from my experience in that situation, capping is a fair amount higher in terms of EV than folding (obviously 0EV since it's a preflop decision). I deleted my original response since it didn't help with the subject matter.

If you want a great analysis, you can read James' posts on the matter, which should have been where the thread ended.

Rob