Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 07:49 PM

Default 5 Days in Vegas: Trip Report (low content)

Arrived in Vegas on Monday around noon and checked into the Luxor. Stayed in the West Tower and the room was decent and the price was right. Met up with a few friends for lunch at the fabulous Hilton buffet. Pretty mediocre food that reminded me of Golden Corral or Old Country Buffet but I was starving so it was OK.

Headed down to the MGM to play some 1-2 NL. Grind away for a few hours with mediocre but never make any real profit. A Danish friend of mine sits at the table and he takes me on a few hands and I leave down $200. I head to Mandalay Bay to play some Black Jack and hit a nice streak and finish the day ahead of the game.

Tuesday I wake up around 1 PM and head down to play some Black Jack at the Luxor with some decent results. Decide to wander over to Mandalay to see if my luck is still holding and I win again. This trip is starting out well. I grab a quick bite to eat and hit the tables again and unfortunatly my luck decides to leave town and I drop some. It is now time to head over to PURE at Caesers Palace for a free party put on by a big client of mine. I rub elbows with a bunch of people in what turns out to be a big sausage fest and score a few free drinks and head back to the Luxor to meet up with a friend who just flew into town.

We head to Mandalay Bay for some 4-8 limit with a 1/2 kill and play for a while. Have a couple bad beats that cost me a bit but end up around $60 after my friend busts out. We head to bed around 4 AM.

Wednesday we head to Wynn and I play some 8-16 while my friend sits in the 1-3 game. I really like the 8-16 game and do well over the next few hours. My high pairs hold up and when I stab at pots I get people to fold to me. Up $380 after about 4 hours.

It is now time to get a free meal thanks to another client. We go to Red Square at Mandalay with about 16 people. Decent food, good service. We do a vodka tasting in their vodka locker which is pretty sweet. Overall had a great time and a good meal.

My friend wants to play some 4-8 and I decide to hit the black jack tables again. He plays with some of the worst players ever. Every hand someone asks "how much can I raise?", "what is the bet", and one hillbilly lady from the Ozarks (her son came up to her while they were playing and said 'Hey Ma! I'm having a ball!' (not sure why I find that so funny)) acts out of turn on about 80% of the hands. He gets frustrated and can never get a good hand with any of them and ends up losing. I, meanwhile, help the Mandalay Bay build a new wing on their hotel. When you see the DrCool Towers you will now know where they came from.

Thursday we decide to head over to MGM for some more 1-2. I hit someone with a sweet suckout and get the favor returned a couple hands later. Play for a few hours and end up down $100. Get a call from a friend who wants to buy me dinner so we go to the seafood buffet at the Rio and I pound about 15 crab legs and 7 plates full of mussels. Pretty good food and since I wasn't paying I didn't care about the price.

Time to head over to Bally's for some late night 1-2 NL. The game was loose and juicy as advertised and most pots got above $50 with quite a few in the $100 plus range. The table was full of people who had played before and were OK players for the most part and overall it was a fun, joking table. A couple exeptions though. The guy on my right was stiff as a board and raised nearly every pot. He was raising on a lot of flush draws and hitting most of them. Unfortunatly he took his money and ran so we couldn't get it back. Decided at about 6 AM to leave and on my last hand the new girl at the table decided to go all in in the dark (trying to bust an old crochety guy who sat down a few hands earlier and was being a jerk) and I have AK suited. I call her all in and end up hitting an Ace on the flop. Turns out she had KK. Doubled up and ended up with $1 profit for the night. Good enough for me.

Friday I wake up and check out. A couple friends are at the rooftop bar at Margaritaville so I head over for a couple drinks and realize I hate margaritas. After that it is time to hit the Wynn again. Play the 8-16 game again and get crappy cards for a few hours. I get a few good hands here and there but nothing ever hits. When I do get a good hand to hit it hits someone better (example: pocket 5s. Flop is 4, 5, 7 and an old guy on my right has a 3-6 offsuit for the straight). I rebuy a couple times waiting for my luck to change but to no avail. On the positive side I am making a couple guys much more comfortable in their retirement. Down $700.

Catch a cab to the airport and get there to find our flight has been cancelled due to weather. I call the Luxor and they give me a discounted rate for another night so we head back to the Luxor and find our room right above the night club. Can't think about sleep with that music pumping so I decide to dump some more money at the black jack tables.

Starts out bad at Luxor so I head to Mandalay and start bad as well but hit a few good cards and am up a couple hundred and then the magic hands hit. I have one hand where I split 4 times and double down on two of them (7 bets on the table) and the dealer busts. Nice. A couple hands later the same situation happens (7 bets on the table) but this time my bet has doubled. Dealer busts. Hopefully they haven't found a contractor for the new wing just yet. End up leaving with a good chunk of cash.

Overall I lost but had a good time and got some free meals. The nice run at the end helped make the losses a bit more bearable. Hopefully I will be back in a couple months to lose some more.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: 5 Days in Vegas: Trip Report (low content)

Nice trip report, I enjoyed it. What business are you in that gets you these comps?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:11 PM

Hotel was comped due to me dumping too much playing blackjack on my last trip and the meals and partys were paid for by some companies I do some advertising with.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:24 PM

Where was the flight going to that was cancelled?
And was it on that end or this end?

I just moved here, and am flying home for Thanksgiving. When I tried to fly out last time my flight was cancelled because of rain here in Vegas (and in Phoenix)
Old 11-21-2005, 09:31 PM

Flight was going to Spokane. Supposedly there was fog up here that cancelled the flight.