Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Rake Back

Old 10-19-2005, 02:47 AM

Default When should I get rakeback (if at all?)

In attempting to build up a bankroll, I'm currently going through bonus offers with signups. I haven't signed up for any rakeback accounts, simply because I don't know how worthwhile they'll be for me, since I don't play at a high volume and right now I'm only playing 2/4 and only 2 tables. I play maybe 3000-5000 hands a month, so I'm not really going to make a killing with rakeback.

So what's the point where it becomes more profitable to get rakeback on a site, rather than just bonus whore it up everywhere I can? I've been making 200-300/mo with just bonuses for the last couple of months and that seems like a lot larger than what I'd have made for the same amount of hands in rakeback money, but I'd like to be sure I'm not totally screwing up here.

So, is there a certain amount of play (hands/mo @ a certain stake level) that's going to get me a better deal than bonuses at various sites? (although considering there's no "real" party rakeback, I'm not entirely sure I like any of the sites that DO offer rakeback that I can still sign up for... so I'm not %100 convinced that rakeback is going to be more profitable than my normal profit at party's 2/4 game anyway.... so I need some convincing here)
Old 10-19-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: When should I get rakeback (if at all?)

generally if you don't sign up for it when you sign up for the site you can't get it. therefore plan ahead.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:04 AM

generally you should get rakeback when you find a site you will be playing at for a long time (and not just because of bonuses). if you are just going to use bonuses, theres no point in getting rakeback... its just going to piss your affiliate off, and he will get your account closed/get you banned for being a 'bonus' whore.

after you do all the bonuses, and have nothing left to do other than play poker... well, thats when its rakeback time.

oh btw, welcome to 2+2... glad your first post could be in our forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are just going to use bonuses, theres no point in getting rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its worth mentioning that there are some sites where Bonuses are not subtracted from MGR, and others where the bonus will be less than the MGR generated to claim it.

The long run, however, is the most important, and it is never a good idea to signup for a new site without a rakeback deal, if you can get one!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:33 AM

Generally, having rakeback doesn't mean you can't get bonuses (usually the bonus is just subtracted from your MGR).
Think of rakeback as an extra on top of everything else.
How can that be anything other than a net positive?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what's the point where it becomes more profitable to get rakeback on a site, rather than just bonus whore it up everywhere I can?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is simple. Going for bonuses is a horrible grind, and there is no guarantee of profit. How many times have you spent hours trying to clear a $100 bonus only to lose $150 in the process? But the important point is that going for bonuses is for little girls. Oh sure, you can make a couple hundered bucks here and there and it MIGHT be a good idea for someone just starting out, living at home, with no expenses, but if you are trying to make a living what are you going to do with a couple hundered bucks?

Going for bonuses is torture. How much is your time worth? If you're a real player, getting rake back is like a second, but smaller, paycheck that just keeps piling up without having to clear anything, AND you can go for the bonuses on top of that without worrying whether you clear them or not. If you do you do, if you don't, big deal.

Besides, if you're not playing at least 10-20 how much money are you really making playing poker online?

You can't beat the small games for much no matter what all of the latest retard books have to say about it.

I know, I know, there are thousands of 2+2ers four and eight tabling 3-6 for 50K a year. LOL.

It's so easy.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You can't beat the small games for much no matter what all of the latest retard books have to say about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most retarded statement I have ever seen a long time 2+2'r make. I hope you were kidding.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know, I know, there are thousands of 2+2ers four and eight tabling 3-6 for 50K a year. LOL.

It's so easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

25 hours a week of 4 tabling 3/6 short-handed should net you about that, pre-rakeback (assuming 2BB/100)
Old 10-19-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The answer is simple. Going for bonuses is a horrible grind,

[/ QUOTE ]

Timer, you are wrong... I don't consider myself a bonus whore... but bonuses have added $4/100 played hands to my income this year! (an efficient whore can do double that)
Old 10-19-2005, 06:09 PM

I guess I'm pretty much a part-time bonus whore so I thought I'd add some perspective on the rakeback vs. bonus whoring issue. I have a fulltime job that I like and pays well so I only play 2-4 hours a day (no variance and excellent benefits makes the pregnant wife happy).

Because my time is limited anyway I just play bonuses on the sites where I already like to play (poker network skins mostly and party during a reload). With some of the new massive and recurring reload bonuses out there (essentially the sites cutting the affiliates out of the rakeabck scheme. Wave of the future?)I'm never playing at less than about %50 equivalent non-contributed rakeback and many bonuses are %100 rakeback or better. Bottom line is that bonuses are almost always better than rakeback while they last unless of course you can get both at the same time.

I've read that some people make a living playing as many tables as possible 8-10 hours a day or more hoping to play a bit better than break even poker and relying on rakeback for the bulk of their profits. One figure I've seen is that this earns them 50k a year. Well I don't make 50k a year in salary yet but THAT seems like a grind to me and there's no paid vacation (though earning a living in my underwear does have a certain appeal).

Over the last month I've made about 4k playing solid aggressive poker and clearing a few bonuses while only playing 2-4 hours a day. These results aren't necessarily typical for me but I've always won long term (I did only break even this month at Pokerstars, some good players there).

I stick to 2-3 tables at a time so I get to enjoy the strategy of poker by outplaying (and occasionally outdrawing) my opponents but not get bored. I do have to get up every day at 6:00 AM to get to work and I have to wear a tie, but I'm pretty happy just being a part time whore. The rakeback vs. bonus thing just boils down to how much you play, how you play, and what you're happy doing for a living.