Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 01:15 PM

Default My first 600 SNGs, Need some real analysis

I finally got through my first 600 and am looking forward to getting some pointers. I know posting stats isn't as effective as posting hands, but I feel a bit overwhelmed about what to improve in my game. These 600 are at about 320 $10+1s and 280 $20+2s. I only play about 200 a month so this is like 2.5 months of work to just get some decent aggregate data to post. I have pokertracker and SNG Tracker for every hand so if anyone wants to e-mail or PM me for more info and make suggestions I'd be happy to, but I won't clog the post with 30 PT screens. I also use SNG PT for ICM on most of these tournies, I don't make a lot of large errors but I miss opportunities I think. I try to make realistic calling ranges for opponents and it says things are profitable, but I constantly get surprised especially when I've been pushy.

Basically I'm happy I'm a positive player, I'm disciplined, I don't make huge errors, but I would guess I make constant small-medium errors that are making me a 12-15% ROI player instead of 20-25% ROI. I really am trying to get some experts to look at some aggregate numbers and point out areas that concern them. Then from there I can watch specific moves I make and post specific hands. It would basically get my improvement to the point of being in more digestable chunks. And also your overall suggestion if I should move up, down, or stay. I'm leaning towards staying even though I want to be at the $33s because I feel a little weak. I felt a lot of improvement my first 150 $11s and my first 100 or so $22s but since then I don't feel like I've improved much, largely because I don't have a lot of direction. So please give me your thoughts, if you need more info ask for it, and I certainly appreciate it.

Here's a basic cumulative profit chart with a marking where I switched to $22s.

Here's my finish distribution. My 2nd place finish concerns me but it MAY just be variance, or it may be me sucking. I feel VERY aggressive heads up.

Here's some overall Pokertracker Stats, I know it's too aggregate to be much, but posting individual stats for each limit might have made it too long, if one limit looks just WRONG I'll post that up. Thanks!

My final stats were like 12.5% ROI and 38.3% ITM over 602 tournies. I REALLY appreciate any direction you give, Thanks!
Old 09-24-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: My first 600 SNGs, Need some real analysis

Looks fine. Your finish distribution decent but you bust out in 8-10th way too often. I play significantly tighter than you are in level 1-2.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:26 PM

You are doing well, and should have some confidence that you are a winning player. I would even veture to say that even if you're a losing player, with these results, you are probably the kind of person that can be a winning player with some effort.

Your 1st's and 3rd's should probably be more than your 2nd's if you're playing optimally. You appear to have had some hot streaks followed by breakeven play. I am not too excited that these results are sustainable if you keep up your current play.

Lastly, I would recommend that you stick to the $10's for at least 1000 more tournies. I guess it depends on your style, but I love 8 tabling the $10's. My ROI is so high, variance is so low, and play is so easy. It depends on your strategy and the type of person you are, but I don't see anything wrong with diciplining yourself on the $10's for a while longer.

Another point is that your ROI at the $20's appears to be roughly half of your ROI from the $10's, even with that huge $20 hot streak where you, frankly, got lucky. Why would you want to make the same hourly rate at the $20's with higher variance? A good answer might be that you want to focus on beating the $20's for 20% ROI faster, and wasting time on the 10's will slow you down.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:44 PM

a bit of a heater between your 400-425 games?
Old 09-24-2005, 02:47 PM

Stick with the 22's it is easier to get 15% roi on them than 30% on the 10's i think. Also quit being so aggressive heads up. Certain people can be pushed around by going all with any hand heads up, but most cannot. Stick with Aces and PP for your pushes and mix in a few moves here and there. That being said 600 sit and gos is moderately small, but you are a winning player and should not waste your time at the 10's.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:56 PM

Are you playing party poker?
Old 09-24-2005, 03:06 PM

Yes Party.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also quit being so aggressive heads up. Certain people can be pushed around by going all with any hand heads up, but most cannot. Stick with Aces and PP for your pushes and mix in a few moves here and there.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is truly horrible advice.

He probably needs to be a lot more aggressive ITM and heads up than he normally is.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:15 PM

Looks pretty good. Could you mind telling me how you posted these stats from pt?
Old 09-24-2005, 04:31 PM

He used "SNG Tracker" . Search for it.

[ QUOTE ]
Looks pretty good. Could you mind telling me how you posted these stats from pt?

[/ QUOTE ]