Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Table image: putting Humpty Dumpty back together again

I've made the leap to NL1000 on Party twice now and failed miserably both times. Sometime around fall (if all goes well) I'll be giving it another shot. In the meantime I need to fix whatever leaks I've had up there before I even think of trying it again. Failing a third time would be horrible.

When I've played 5/10NL on Party (about 25K hands...-~2bb/100 btw) I find myself being very concerned about my table image. PT tells me that I'm very aggressive on the flop, fair on the river yet passive on the turn. The turn is where I tend to encounter the most problems. I seem to be folding a BUNCH on the turn after putting a decent amount of money in the pot...time and time again. As an example, I have, say, KJ and call a PFR on the button. Board is J 8 2r. PFR bets pot, I call. Turn 3, PFR bets pot again, I fold. So then I start to think that the table has adjusted to me being being the type to call a flop bet and fold the turn so I start being overaggressive on all streets thinking "F him if he thinks he's gonna run me over! I'M RAISING MY AIR, BITCH!" And that's where everything falls apart...bad play follows tilt follows bad play follows sicko monkey tilt and ends in total and complete disaster.

I don't seem to have this problem at my comfort level: NL400. Sure, I'm passive on the turn and the AF numbers are actually similar (don't have them here...sorry can post later) but I'm completely comfortable on all streets. As a comparison, after ~45k hands at NL400 I'm at +5.5bb/100.

I know this is rather vague but do you think that I'm too worried that the table has caught up to me? Am I not adjusting for the increase in aggression from NL400 to NL1k? Is it REALLY all that much more aggressive at this limit? Need any other info from me? HH's?

Thoughts/comments welcome

-Humpty
Old 09-01-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Table image: putting Humpty Dumpty back together again

it's even easier to put a move on you because your pp alias is same as your 2+2 id. also consider raising more preflop, last time I remember your pfr was like 5~6%ish, make it 10%++ and see how that works for you. raising more pfr and taking down more pots with c-bets will cut your opponent's implied odds and add more deception for your good hands.

most of all, post more hands.

gl
Old 09-01-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have, say, KJ and call a PFR on the button. Board is J 8 2r. PFR bets pot, I call. Turn 3, PFR bets pot again, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

way to fix this: fold or reraise kj vs a standard open.

I fold KJo to any raise even 6max... KJs you can make anargument for seeing the flop.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have, say, KJ and call a PFR on the button. Board is J 8 2r. PFR bets pot, I call. Turn 3, PFR bets pot again, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

way to fix this: fold or reraise kj vs a standard open.

I fold KJo to any raise even 6max... KJs you can make anargument for seeing the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
oh also, you shouldn't be worrying about people firing more second barrel bluffs against you because that makes it much easier for you to trap them.. 2 potsize bets by turn will get villans commited with ease.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:26 PM

you're being standard paranoid, always remember the 1K's are better yes, but not by that much. Also don't put yourself in difficult positions until you get more comfortable. Like don't call a raise with KJ, eihter reraise or fold, even KJs, fold, (unless vs. nutso) And stop trying to play "perfect" poker. They will bluff you yes, you will get bluffed more than on 400's, but just work on winning a little bit, like 2.5 PTBB/100's THEN work on perfecting your play by playing all streets agro etc.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:09 AM

If you're HoldEmKillah1 or something like that on Party, I remember you as one of the best 5/10 players. Maybe your style just works really well against me and less well against bad players? As far as KJ, I don't like calling a raise with that hand, even in position. I'd much rather open myself or just fold if someone opens in front. Once in a while I'll reraise if the opener is a decent player. Flat calling preflop with weak top-pair-style hands gets you into a lot of trouble and hard decisions on later streets.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're HoldEmKillah1 or something like that on Party, I remember you as one of the best 5/10 players.

[/ QUOTE ]

...yeah i'm HoldMKillah1 (changing it soon) and that statement is so opposite of the truth it's laughable. Thanks for the compliment and tips though.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:15 AM

I played against you in 400 and perhaps my sample size is too small but you seemed a little bit too loose before the flop for calling raise and such.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:11 PM

cold called a CO raise v me with AJo

shorthanded i like a reraise, too hard to play this way
Old 09-02-2005, 01:28 PM

First thing I'm gonna do is change my name(s). I've always known it's -EV to be the same here and online but the HoldEmKillah alias has grown on me so much after all this time...time to put him to rest [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

All of you are right about the KJ example which translates into adjustments I need to make about my PF calling requirements. Up until a few months ago I was around 35 %VP$P but tightened up prior to hitting the 1K's to like 31%. Recently I've found that I need to tighten up even more and avoid cc'ing hands like A10, K10, SC's(OOP and against 1 opponent), AJ OOP, stuff like that which has put my VP$P the last week or so at around 29%. I've made some adjustments but KJ has still been a hand I will cc with.

So bottom line, tighten up on CC'ing while folding more hands I used to limp with in EP (another leak I've been fixing).

I'm gonna try to fix the above first before I work on doing my next thing which is raising more. I'm currently at ~8%.5 but one thing at a time.

Raising more is going to be a tough one at NL400 since I find my cb's are called so often making the turn difficult to play (again, the turn). But I suppose going through that process painfully will make me come out of it a better player and force myself to make better turn decisions.

Anyone else have anything? I GREATLY appreciate the responses thus far..very helpful.