Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2005, 06:10 PM

Default NFL running backs

How valuable are they? Who is the best starting running back and who is the worst? It seems like lately the gap has become smaller and smaller. Is there a team in the league that would say they have serious problems at the running back position?

The broncos are an obvious example of the fact that a teams offensive line is more important the the guy running behind it. The chiefs are another. One "great" RB goes down, and another comes in and has very similar success. It makes you wonder what it was that made the first RB so "great" in the first place.

Sure there are a few exceptions, and there seems to be a common theme among the exceptions. They are the running backs who are also great recievers. LT, Edge, Faulk in his prime, etc. But other than these exceptions, the difference between the best and worst running backs is very minimal. If you put any on of them in a given play, considering the quality of blocking they get and how good the defense is, the results are all going to be very close to the same. Add in the fact that running backs are so often injured, and you have even more reason not to shell out top dollar for a premier back. Especially if theres a good chance the only reason they became known as a "premier back" in the first place is due to their offensive line and the system they played in.

I know none of this is anything new. But my conclusion is one that I'm sure not many will agree with. My conclusion is that reggie bush should not be the first overall pick. I am as big of a fan of him as anyone. But his value relative to other players at his position is simply not as big as as Top QB such as lienhart. There are tons of teams with problems at quarterback (Browns, Lions, Bears), as well as other positions, but like I said before, I cant think of one team that would say their lack of a premier running back is their biggest problem.

Thoughts?