Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Seneca Niagara trip report (long and rambling)...

I'm there usually twice a month or more on weekends but I felt like I had to post this because I played with a couple of the biggest tools I've ever seen last night...

Playing some fun, but card-dead 2/4 with the usual crew of LPs and had some hilarious and bizarre hands.

I pick up AQs in the small blind and raise four or five limpers. Flop comes out with two of my suit (all rags) and I bet. Weak-tighty in middle position who I've seen before and takes notes on this elaborate chart he has in his front pocket raises me. One or two cold-callers and I 3-bet. And MP raiser folds despite his infinity-to-one pot odds at that point. I turned my nut flush but a goofy fold regardless.

This huge tool at the other end of the table hit at least a 95 on the unintentional comedy scale a bit later in the night. A bunch of limpers preflop, flop comes T72 rainbow, tool leads out in SB, note-taker from previous hand raises three callers on the button and everyone calls of course. Turn is an offsuit 6, SB tool bets, everyone folds to the button raiser and they proceed to re-raise each other at least five times before the button stops and calls. At this point we've all realized they both have 98 for the nut straight. River is a 3 and the tool gives him a nice WPT staredown and says "Did that three help you? Because my hand was already made" and violently checks. The button sort of shrugs his shoulders and bets and then the tool insta-raises. So the button calls and the tool rolls over his 98 and says "NUTS!" And the button shows his obvious straight and the tool throws his hands up in the air like it was the biggest surprise ever and he thought this guy re-re-re-re-re-raised him with top pair or something.

The guy sitting directly to my left was so beyond weak-tight it was incredible. Anytime he had a hand like JJ or QQ, he'd raise preflop and then check-fold if an overcard flopped. I limp along with three or four others with 97s on the button and he raises from the SB and I tell him that I'm just gonna have to suckout on him. Flop comes out A63 with one of my suit and it checks around so I figure he has to have a high pair and he's terrified of an ace. Turn is a 5 of my suit and it gets checked to me so I fire out with my draws. SB thinks for a while and calls and everybody else folds. River is an offsuit Q and SB checks. I toss out four chips and he thinks and thinks and thinks and finally folds KK face up. Hahahaha. I never thought I could bluff somebody off kings in a 2/4 game but I was wrong. I told him that he really really didn't want to know what I had but eventually told him it was Q3 and i rivered two pair.

A couple hands later I flop top set of nines in the small blind after convincing myself to raise it into a handful of limpers. I bet, KK folder raises, one cold-caller (nut straight tool from earlier), I 3-bet, they both call and proceed to call me down on the turn and river. Weak-tightie showed a flopped middle set and left after the hand when he figured it wasn't his night. Nice pot though.

About fifteen minutes before I was planning on leaving, this big younger guy sits in the seat to my right and takes up all my space, but he came over with about $400 from the 1/2 NL game and started making the most outrageous comments during every hand. I ended up staying an extra hour just because he was so entertaining. Besides being probably about 85/0, he would constantly put people on the stone cold nuts just because they bet. Rainbow board of A7JQ with four people in the hand; two checks and a guy bets. The guy makes a Dick Van Patten (ever see an old mid-90s WSOP show?) remark like "He's got to have the king-ten." Once somebody bet on the river on a three-flush board and showed top two pair, and DVP tells me "He's nuts betting two pair into a possible flush." And on a paired flop, I was told "He either has a full house or he's betting his flush draw." But then anytime he had anything resembling a hand, he'd call somebody down and tell me that he's not letting anybody buy the pot off him. This including calling to the river with 32 on a board of AT2KA and showing me his hand before he folded like it was a huge laydown.

Although he did have one shining moment. He told me that the flop raiser had middle set on a board of Q74 (which was obviously a possible holding but any Q or flush draw or 65 made sense too). Turn 7 and DVP whispers "Quads." Blank river and the flop raiser rolls over quad sevens! DVP was so proud of himself and I laughed for 26 minutes on the inside.

My only complaint (like always) is their terrible rake of three bucks on the flop which is about 25% if the game gets down to seven or eight-handed or is randomly tight. Although every once in a while there will be a super-cool dealer who won't rake the tiny pots. I keep meaning to keep track of how much I pay in rake and tips and then compare it to a rake structure online to see how much I get ripped off.

DZ

Go Sabres.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Seneca Niagara trip report (long and rambling)...

[ QUOTE ]
My only complaint (like always) is their terrible rake of three bucks on the flop which is about 25% if the game gets down to seven or eight-handed or is randomly tight. Although every once in a while there will be a super-cool dealer who won't rake the tiny pots. I keep meaning to keep track of how much I pay in rake and tips and then compare it to a rake structure online to see how much I get ripped off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the rake schedule posted on the table placard?

-kyo
Old 10-31-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the rake schedule posted on the table placard?

-kyo

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...$3 on Flop and $1 at $40

Gross.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:34 AM

when you're there and you're short handed next time ask the floor for a break there usually pretty good about it. Especially to keep a game running. Unless it is Ray "Mr Personality" is there. Then your lucky to even get a fill.
Also 3-4 dollars is pretty standard. You pay less online because , theres no dealer.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you're there and you're short handed next time ask the floor for a break there usually pretty good about it. Especially to keep a game running. Unless it is Ray "Mr Personality" is there. Then your lucky to even get a fill.
Also 3-4 dollars is pretty standard. You pay less online because , theres no dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've played five-handed before with only a $1 rake which was really nice...except I ran over the table because nobody adjusted and it broke in about four or five hands. And it seems like nobody ever wants to play short-handed. A couple weeks ago, one table had seven players and mine had four after a couple guys left at the same time and I was pumped for some short-handed play. But then everybody else at my table complained and the dealer said we could ask the other table if they'd play eleven-handed. I made it easy on them by deciding to call it a night rather than be bored silly playing eleven-handed poker.

I'd rather have them rake 10% with a $5 cap because I've been playing a ton of hands lately (especially when it gets to be maybe seven-handed and they won't cut down the rake yet) where it's a limper vs. the blinds and a flop bet takes down the pot so they end up raking 37.5%.

DZ
Old 10-31-2005, 02:32 PM

Totally unbiased here, as I am from Niagara Falls, NY..but, Seneca is probably one of the best/nicest rooms that I have ever played in.

And Seneca Salamanca isn't too far behind on the niceness scale.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Totally unbiased here, as I am from Niagara Falls, NY..but, Seneca is probably one of the best/nicest rooms that I have ever played in.

And Seneca Salamanca isn't too far behind on the niceness scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know; I love the place. I'm just annoyed that my nice loose limit games are tightening up due to the uber-donkeys gravitating to 1-2 NL.