Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Table image: putting Humpty Dumpty back together again

[ QUOTE ]

So bottom line, tighten up on CC'ing while folding more hands I used to limp with in EP (another leak I've been fixing).

Raising more is going to be a tough one at NL400 since I find my cb's are called so often making the turn difficult to play (again, the turn).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your first statement, for the continuation bet, if you think you are called too much you could try to not make them on flop with coordinated middle cards and sometimes make a second barrel on the low cards ones (but you probably already know this I assume).
Old 09-02-2005, 01:53 PM

[quote...you could try to not make them on flop with coordinated middle cards and sometimes make a second barrel on the low cards ones (but you probably already know this I assume).

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably do but don't realize that I know it if you know what I mean. Could you explain or give an example?

I'm totally opening myself up here. There is a lot I know about this game but there is a TON that I don't. For the last year and a half I've been travelling on PT, a few books, and a lot of instinct/common sense. It's like I have only one eye open.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:16 PM

example: 89T two tone, don't even make a continuation bet. people are likely to have hit this flop HARD and are not willing to give up their 2 pair or pair + OESD vs a pfr who is representing a big pair.

358: fire two barrels. see how in love people really are with their 99-JJ.

obviously their are less obvious examples but you get the point.

this has an added benefit besides just saving money. if people notice that sometimes you check behind as the preflop raiser, they are more likely to give you credit when you do make a c-bet.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:16 PM

I find that at 5/10, cards don't matter as much as in 2/4. If you raise preflop and fire a second barrel, a lot of players will fold their medium pair. If you check behind hoping to hit your six-outer, you lose the pot whenever you miss. Representing hands is a lot more important than in 2/4. Remember that your cards don't mean a thing unless you go to a showdown. You just have to read the players; some can be pushed around and others will call you down, so you need the goods against them.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of loose "thinking" players will call a bet on a flop like that with hands like 86 or 44 also, figuring they are ahead of overcards who are the most likely hands of someone who raise about 9 % of his hands preflop. Thats why I almost always bet my overpair here and often make a second barrel on the turn with overcards, especially when a high card hit.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising more is going to be a tough one at NL400 since I find my cb's are called so often making the turn difficult to play (again, the turn). But I suppose going through that process painfully will make me come out of it a better player and force myself to make better turn decisions.

Anyone else have anything? I GREATLY appreciate the responses thus far..very helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

allinlife actually turned me onto this idea, (he does it more then anyone I know) but you'd be amazed at how effective sheer preflop aggression can be.

try expanding your reraising range 6max from button and CO. if you have logged a ton of hands with the same people, as well, this "adjustment" will freeze them for a while.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:24 PM

I think your problems come from getting too afraid of losing big money at 1000. Do you really feel you are sufficiently bankrolled for that game?
Old 09-02-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
example: 89T two tone, don't even make a continuation bet. people are likely to have hit this flop HARD and are not willing to give up their 2 pair or pair + OESD vs a pfr who is representing a big pair.

[/ QUOTE ] totally agree

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dont agree, vanessa. 8 5 3r is a classic board where if your C bet is called unless a "scare" card hits, (to a poor player, A or K) check and give up with the JT/A7s type hands you raised pf with.

unless you're up against specific players who you can pin on a PP when they call your raise, (6max I RARELY find this to be the case) they fit the flop, they dont have a draw, and they are not giving it up enough % to make a 2nd barrell w/ few outs profitable.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:42 PM

1. 25,000 hands is not very many in the grand scheme of things.

2. 45,000 hands is not very many in the grand scheme of things.

3. Every time you move to a new level, there will be a new level adjustment period as you get used to the new players and new dollar amounts. It helps if you think in terms of big blinds, but you've still got to get used to the dollars. The way I combat this is just set aside some extra bankroll so I can take some extra chances against my new opponents. For $5/$10, I want a minimum of $30k to play full time, so I'll get to $40k, to help cover the new level adjustment period.

4. I think every post I've ever responded to you, I've said something to the effect of "there is no shame in folding preflop". The tricky situations you get yourself into many times can be avoided simply by folding preflop, especially to a legitimate preflop raise.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:00 PM

do you also occassionally check behind on the turn with an overpair and then bluff the river? ;-)