Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 04:53 PM

Default 2/4 B&M hand...

This was the first hand I saw that night and I didn't recognize anybody at the table so I had zero reads.

B&M $2/$4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
EP1 calls, EP2 calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises </font>, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, EP1 checks, EP2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls, EP1 folds, EP2 calls, MP2 calls.

Had somebody led out at me, would it have been a good idea to wait for a safe turn card to raise? I probably would have fired out a flop raise to drive out any lone K or Q, but I'm not sure if that would have been the right play.

Turn: (8.5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, EP2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="red">CO raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="red">EP2 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="red"> Hero caps</font>, CO calls, EP2 calls.

Correct to cap? I was a bit worried that somebody had flopped a straight or maybe even a set (raising preflop is looked down upon by the old guys...I get a lot of dirty looks...I've had sessions where I'll be the only PF raiser in three hours and AA will be shown down four times by other players) and I definitely thought AT and A2 were possibilities.

DZ
Old 06-30-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: 2/4 B&M hand...

I'm just a beginner, but I wouldn't cap the turn. I'd have the feeling I was beaten by a straight and drawing to four outs. I'd probably call the two at 7.25 : 1, figuring I'd be getting very good implied odds, but I'd probably be check/folding UI on the river.

Maybe it's weak-tight, but that would be my plan.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:51 PM

in response to your first question, definately raise the flop if someone leads into you
Old 06-30-2005, 02:23 PM

I'd definitely 3bet the turn, but capping with a raise and a 3bet seems spewy.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:09 PM

I thought about just calling the 3-bet, but I figured it might be worth the extra BB to look somewhat loose. Even though these games and players are on average worse than the typical Party .50/1.00, somebody eventually notices that I fold 75% of my hands preflop and lets the table know that "he must have something good so I'm getting out of the way" anytime I enter a pot. And then the atrocious rake of $3 on every flop kills me. Anyways, the guy behind me might have capped anyways and then I get to toss another BB into the huge pot to try to fill up on the river.

DZ
Old 06-30-2005, 05:20 PM

Do you still 3-bet the turn here if it's been check-raised to you? (i.e. if the CO hadn't raised?)
Old 07-01-2005, 02:01 AM

Without any reads at all, I think I would 3-bet the typical Seneca Niagara 2/4 player...

I've had somebody stop-n-go on me three times in one hand when I held top set on a board of K834J only to roll over ace-high. So I can't give anybody credit for anything at this point.

If I had any type of read that these people sort of knew what they were doing, I'd try to get to a showdown as cheaply as possible.

DZ