Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Poker detox--need advice

So I'm just not enjoying the game at the moment. I am fed up with the LAGs at my limits, and I'm not as into my home game as I use to be. I think I need a break, as it is beginning to effect my play and my profits.

Any advice on how long to step away? What might I try to get refreshed? Can I continue to read the books, ie learn stragegy and just not play?

Any advice or personal experiences with taking a "time out" from hold 'em would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Poker detox--need advice

I've never understood why people ask this question....

the problem is totally in your head - whatever you need to do to get it out of your head is fine - if you decide to only take 2 days and that refreshes you, fine...

I've been on a poker break lately, not playing nearly as much as I used to, and I'm not studying or anything, but if you can study and not burn out, then by all means...

actually, I recommend poker books of a non-strategic variety, like Stu Unger's bio or Positively 5th Street - throw in a couple more like Katy Lederer's "Poker Face" - A. Alverez "The Biggest Game in Town" and "The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King.

I read 5th St. when I was on a break, got done, was invigorated to play in tourneys, and made a final table that night.

but there's no set time limit - until you can play without burnout - 2 days or 2 months - as long as you're not doing it for a living, take as long as you feel you need - only U can answer that.

RB
Old 09-21-2005, 05:28 PM

try a different form.

usually play SNG's? try some ring games or MTT's.

pick some other game like 2-7 TD, O8, read the super system chapter, and play some micros. post on the boards here.

this has helped me in the past, but sometimes the burnout doesn't even allow this much I know. anyways, hope you feel better. It probably gets to all of us.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What might I try to get refreshed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strippers, hookers, booze, pick your poison
Old 09-21-2005, 10:20 PM

i was burning out because i was playing micro limits and found it tough to beat because of all the LAGs like you said. I stopped playing cash games and played nothing but sng's and MTT's, i then placed 1st in a $2 MTT on stars and this changed my poker life. i now play mid limit and im beating the game and my fire is back.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then placed 1st in a $2 MTT on stars and this changed my poker life. i now play mid limit and im beating the game and my fire is back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, Your post has changed my poker life!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:21 AM

Go play O8 for a while, it will improve your game. And, I wish I had more LAGs in my game - you should appreciate them.