Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: hand reading exercise

[ QUOTE ]
This post wasn't particularly tough

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not for you. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I really liked this post, too, and thought it was very helpful to see how others go through the process of reading hands. I hope we'll see more of these.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:10 PM

Hey Jeff... if our purpose here is to read the villain, then it helps to have your cards (to eliminate some of his cards). However, I've only read the preflop section of your post, so I don't know what's going on just yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, your converter are teh suck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I mean, are you in the SB or what, because that really changes your range of hands... AQs probably shouldn't be three-betting from the SB, unless the guy in the BB is fairly tight and REALLY excellent post-flop?

----

1) what is a reasonable range of hands for me after I 3bet pf?

If he were UTG, then: AA-TT, AK, AQs

Since he's MP1: AA-99, AK-AQ... hmm... maybe I'm too tight in these spots.

If he's tricky, you're going to have to be a little tighter preflop than normal, and this depends heavily on the game conditions (is it tight or loose behind you?). You could open up a little bit from what I've said here, but I'm not sure how far you should go. Edit: disregard game conditions stuff because you're close to closing the action.

2) what is a reasonable range of hands for villain after he caps pf?

AA-TT, AK, AQs

3) what is my range of hands after I c/c the flop?

AA,KK,AK,AQ... you could be "getting jiggy" with JJ here, seeing if you can slow him down by representing something bigger than you have.... Particularly if you have any of the ace-big-suited spades that would be good hands here... however, by the river we know that you don't have AKs spades. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Final range appears to be the same as it was on the flop, because the board hasn't changed very much.

Villain could have had maybe AJs, but that would be weird. QQ or JJ is also possible.

Reading your hints in white for your flop range:

You're not giving up too much by slowplaying a hand HU, afaik. If you have AQ, then you are WA/WB, maybe... so this looks like a good hand for you to have on the river, but it would have to be suited, probably, so that leaves 2 AQs hands that you could have, by the river. If I were you and I had QQ, I would bet this river, expecting to get a call from JJ. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This is the best I can do, I guess... I'm curious to see what others thought and what your perspective on this was...
Old 08-24-2005, 04:13 PM

You look like AK/AQ.

He looks like QQ/JJ.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. TT+, AQ, AK. This guy isn't PFRing much, so I wouldn't like to be 3betting 99, KQs or AJs against him, especially after the cold caller. I hope these aren't in your range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, thanks Wookie, I forgot about the CC.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many outs do you give yourself (theoretically) on the flop with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

this calculation is way too difficult for me to do at game speed (mostly since his likelihood of having various hands changes drastically when I hit one of my K or Q "outs")

I think I'd auto-c/c this flop with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] because my mind is thinking (big pot + pair + bdfd).

as far as outs: 1.5 bdfd + 2Ks + 3Qs = 6.5 outs
obviously the K/Q outs need to be discounted a lot. on the fly I'd prob. estimate 4 outs.

if anyone cares to do the actual calculation I would love to see it.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:28 PM

How about 3.5 + 0.5% =~ 3.5 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

backdoor 90:1 straight, plus a bdf (1 out), plus dep on whether or not the guy has AK/AQ 3 outs to 2 outs. You could also be drawing dead to your flush/straight.

Not a lot... I don't know... I'd be willing to put that hand down, or start bluffing by checkraising the turn, etc. But not calling down for pot odds.

--Dave.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:21 PM

I would like to say that I like villian's flop cap, though he needed to raise the turn.(wtf is MP2 thinking with his JQs when there is a 3-bet and cap after his cc? It makes the flop play against him very easy, or he folds (didn't expect that).

1. If he is tricky and as smart as I make him out to be, 99+ and Aks/o, I'm thinking PP.
2.99+ and AKs, AKo, AQs and if much better than me AJs

3.Perhaps AK, AA,KK (slowplayed), not really worried about any draws. But could be on a high PP TT-QQ.

4.AA,AK,KK,TT,QQ

5. 99,JJ,QQ
Old 08-24-2005, 05:37 PM

Hero: QQ or JJ or (unlikely) AQ
Villain: presumably QQ or JJ, not sure how hero could know since villain folded the river.

I don't think hero has AQ here. Three betting AQ oop is something I'm usually not willing to do, but I guess that doesn't preclude hero from being able to do it since the general sentiment around here is "omg raising preflop is goot." An MP1 raise usually isn't a steal raise. I'd also eliminate AK, KK, AA for the reason that if hero had these hands, he played them wretchedly. Villain obviously doesn't have these either, as he/she folded the river. AQ or AJ is not a possibility for villain either due to his/her river action.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:24 PM

I'll throw my two cents in here. Of course, my hand reading skills are still awful, so I had to use a pen and paper.

1. I put you on the preflop at A's-T's, AKs-AJs, KQs, & AKo.

2. I put villian preflop at A's-T's, AKs, AQs, AKo, & AQo.

3. I would think you would want to win this right away if you had hit a set or two pair on the flop, so I have you at QQ, JJ, TT, AQs, AJs, & KQs. That would get rid of your diamond flush possibility.

4. & 5. I had you possibly with PP's, but after figuring out the villians hands, I got rid of those. So, for you I have AQs or AJs in [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and for the villian I have QQ or JJ.

Great thread! We need more of these hand reading examples. At least I do. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero: QQ or JJ ...

I'd also eliminate AK, KK, AA for the reason that if hero had these hands, he played them wretchedly.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think my play is bad if I have QQ/JJ?
what is/are your line(s) for AA/KK/AK and why?