Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Moving from 4 tables to 8 tables - please advise

yeah, i kinda did the same as limitplayer in that i just went pretty much straight from 4 to 8, and it probably isn't the smartest way to do it.

I think even just going to 6 for a while wouldn't be that big of a jump from 4, and it will get you used to having 2 monitors, which was the hardest adjustment for me... just having to remember to look back and forth, but it got much easier. also at first one of my monitors couldn't do 16x1200 res, so having overlap on one of the screens really sucked. i think if you're going to do 8 its pretty important to be able to not have overlap.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:46 PM

schneids-

did you have any table selection at all when 8tabling the 10/20 game, or was it pretty much "seat open" was all you needed? i didn't have to switch too much at 5/10, but when i'm playin the 10/20 i feel theres lots of tables that can't possibly be too profitable, and have to switch a decent amount. quickly being able to see all the VPIP's, PFR, and Agr factor of eveyone at the table is by far the most valuable thing about Playerview. No way could i do more than 4 of that game without it.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was four tabling the 15/30 for months before I invested in a dual monitor set up. I felt like I could do 4 tables in my sleep so I decided it was time to try 8. Long story short it was just too much for me. I currently do 6 tables and am comfortable with the 6. I would suggest working your way up to 8 and see how it goes for you. You may be able to do 8 in your sleep and you'll be looking to buy a third monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with jeffo on this one. 6 I can do in my sleep. 8 stresses me out. Table selection is a real pain in the ass at 8 too. I burn out much faster at 8 and I piss my friends off cause i blow them off cause I cna't tlak to them while playing 8.

My bb/100 isprobably proportionately higher at 6 compaired to 8 anyhow.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:41 PM

I third. 6 is considerably easier than 8, I'm not sure why, but it is absolutely true that with 6 I can talk to people on the phone and AIM, with 8 I shut everything down.

-Michael
Old 02-12-2005, 05:12 PM

I am at 2/4 right now (started at .5/1 in December) and I just moved from 4 tables to 8 tables. I did 6-table for one day, but I felt like that was exactly the same at 4-tabling. 8-tabling is a little tougher, though. I definitely can't talk to anyone or do any kind of table selection (besides leaving a table when it gets shorthanded). I imagine it will get easier as I get more experience. I don't feel like it is affecting my ability to play good poker--I think my BB/100 will probably only drop slightly. Only the long run will tell for sure though.

I think it's worth it and a profitable move, especially considering the rakeback issue.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:26 PM

I think it's a bad idea to play 8 tables, no matter how good your think you are..Just too much going on to make intellegent decisions consistently.

balt999 Journal about Poker and Life
Old 02-12-2005, 07:16 PM

I play 8, but i definitely shut down AIM and concentrate.

best advice I think is to add one table at a time and see how you feel.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:41 PM

thanks for the good responses, it sounds like 6 is the ideal number, I think I'll snag another 2001fp next time there's a deal on it, which will probably be monday morning. Plus, its gotta be nice to have some monitor space to check email or whatever when multitabling.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:31 PM

I am also in the 6...but not 8 camp. Whether it's 6-max for full-table I just get a little too hurried on 8-tables.

If I'm doing 3 or 4 (like I am now) it's pretty much like sleep-walking and I even sometimes feel guilty that I'm not using my time more producitvely.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:30 PM

I do 8 sometimes but also prefer 6. The number of mistakes and misclicks seems to go up at 8. I say get the setup if you can though because it is just fun. Playing 4 with another monitor for PT, AIM, and 2+2 is a pretty good poker experience. It is also cool to throw a DVD on the second monitor.

Check out this hand I played once 8 tabling. Luckily, I had a good read on the raiser and new I was behind. Hard to tell from the converter but I folded preflop. Good times...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: surfdoc is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. surfdoc posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks.