Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 12:47 PM

Default QQ question

This occured early in my session, and since I play PokerStars, it wasn't part of my 200 hands I could request to look at, so bear with my memory.

I'm playing $25NL full-ring and I've only been at the table a half-orbit so no real reads on anyone. I'm in the SB and I get dealt QQ. UTG+1 raises it to 4xBB and gets called by MP1 and the button. Both UTG+1 and MP1 are shortstacked, something like $10, while the button is over $50; I still have near full stack, having just sat down. My question is: Should I just call the original raise, respecting both position and the later callers, or should I reraise?

If call, how do I play if I flop as an overpair versus an A or K high flop? Playing QQ as overpair aggro could well run me into AA or KK because I made no attempt to figure out where I was, but playing passively (check-calling) seems like I could miss value from AK or TPTK. Conversely, if I were to reraise, it seems like I would have to reraise something like 3-5 times the original raise on account of the callers, but doing so both puts a lot of money in OOP and probably commits me if either shortstack calls the reraise, especially since their short stack status opens their 3-bets range beyond AA/KK. And what if the short stack comes back over the top (since a 4-5 reraise would put in half their stack, so they might as well just push if it was worth raising in the first place)?

QQ is something I have trouble playing out of the blinds in a raise situation. JJ, especially with other callers, I am more than content to play for set value, but QQ seems too strong to play that passively yet not quite strong enough to face more heat if I get 3-bet. I suppose I could be comfortable folding to a 3-bet/push, but that seems weak-tight to me, since I see too many A-paint/JJ pushes to just throw QQ out the window. Any suggestions on how to play QQ both in and out of position to raises would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: QQ question

There is no easy answer to this. I would either flat call and see a flop or make it 11$ to go, putting either short stack that wanted to call all-in and getting anyone without a premium hand in later positon to fold. You have to assume no one in later position has aa-kk or there probably would have been a re-raise.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:48 PM

ReRaise QQ
Old 10-30-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ReRaise QQ

[/ QUOTE ]

In the scenario given, yes, but reraising QQ is not always optimal strategy.

I have heard different opinions about playing QQ from the blinds. Personally, I like to re-raise w/ QQ and take it down on the flop, but I will occasionally smoothcall. These decisions are really very dependent on who is making the raise, the amount raised, the number of limpers, and your position.

I agree with the previous poster who said raise to $11 to set the small stacks in. They will call often enouogh w/ AJ-AK, 88-JJ at these stakes to make this profitable.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:11 PM

Before the flop, you have to like where you are sitting. You can see raises like that preflop at this level with hands that smart players might even fold.

After the flop, if there is an overcard, especially an ace, you have no choice but to believe that you are now second pair.

I never like dealing with QQ or JJ - but remember, there is only a 3% chance that someone holds AA over your KK or QQ. I wouldnt push them too hard after the flop... because regardless of what happens, you still only have a pair and we all know how far that goes sometimes.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:52 AM

The line I ended up taking was a reraise to $6, which would commit either short stack or prompt them into pushing and then I could see how the others responded. The original raiser, UTG+1, immediately came over the top, the second short stack called and the button folded, making this an easy call on my part. I ended up sucking out vs. UTG+1 AA.

So, while I took the general line recommended here and reraised, I'm not sure about the advice to raise it straight to $11 and put the shortstacks straight in. The line I took, a 5xRR versus 11xRR seems to me to allow me to gauge both the short stacks and the deep stack before committing more money to the pot OOP. Raising to $11, especially if called by both short stacks, seems as though it lets me gauge the deepstack. If the deep stack calls, I'm probably better off playing the flop as overpair, although at that point, I think stack size vs. pot size would about commit me regardless of what fell.

So I suppose the point of my reply is to ask why raise straight to $11 instead of a more standard $4-5? Thats a pot-sized reraise at that point, after the callers.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:29 AM

Because you have no reads why not play it safe and call? Fairly easy to play for set profitably here and cautiously if not.

This may not be the optimal play if you have better reads but you do know it is profitable and you are protecting your stack for a time when you know you have an edge.