Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: QQ heads up vs limp raiser

You played that too passively. By just calling every street you get no info from him. Why didn't you raise the flop? That was the biggest mistake I think. If he limp raised with AA or (unlikely) KK, JJ he would probably try to check-raise you at the flop and definetely at the turn after you called his bet at the flop. You need to be less passive HU especially with a strong hand.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he would probably try to check-raise you at the flop and definetely at the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

not to be an ass why would he definately check the turn with a good PP or a set?

I think check call line is fine considering his numbers and the action PF.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call down and check behind on any street should he check to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check behind Brad? I agree check call but checking behind makes me feel funny inside [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Could you enlighten me as to why?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:23 AM

I think check/calling is the best play here. If he is way ahead we save money, if he is way behind, we want him to keep betting and don't want him to fold to a raise.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he would probably try to check-raise you at the flop and definetely at the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

not to be an ass why would he definately check the turn with a good PP or a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

To earn an additional BB maybe? You can delete my "definetely" though.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think check/calling is the best play here. If he is way ahead we save money, if he is way behind, we want him to keep betting and don't want him to fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where can you check here? I'm confused. Anyway, if you play so passively your big pairs then you can never make enough money out of them.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:51 PM

I played this one so passively because the limp-reraise had me fearing AA or KK (especially since his preflop aggression numbers weren't very high). But I'm not at all certain of it so I can't lay down QQ. I thought - at the time - that check calling was the way to go: if I'm behind I lose less, but if I'm ahead I win more (by letting him continue to bluff). What hand could he have that I beat, that he would pay me off with? Now I'm thinking that I should've raised the flop, in case he was drawing to AK. But should I fold to a raise when the K hits the turn? I don't think so. It's heads up, I'm taking this to showdown.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would call down and check behind on any street should he check to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check behind Brad? I agree check call but checking behind makes me feel funny inside [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Could you enlighten me as to why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay we know a few things about this hand.

1) We may or may not have the best hand on the flop. So let's say that there is a 25% chance of him having aces or kings. If we raise the flop and then he 3-bets, there is now a 75% chance of him having AA/KK. So the only hands that he will be willing to get into a pissing match with have us destroyed. Therefore it is -EV to goto war here. However since we will have the best hand here often, it puts money into our pocket when we call down.

2) After he checks to us, one of 3 things will happen. If he check/raises we just lose more money if we decide to pay off. If we fold to the check/raise we don't get to see what he has. If he check/folds, we don't get to see what he has either. He knows that we have a good hand but we know very little about his. If we see that he has something like T9 in this spot, we can make much better decisions against him in the future. The best thing that we can hope for is a check/call but it is pretty strange for someone to limp-reraise preflop and then get passive after the flop. So by either checking or calling we:

a) encourage him to bluff if that he what he is doing
b) lose less if he has us beat
c) get to a showdown where we gain lots of information about his hand

You also have to understand that when we check behind, we are not giving him a free card. Since we don't know if we have the best hand or not, we have less corncerns about giving free cards (he could be checking intending to trap us with a monster hand). Also consider that he might be drawing stone cold dead after the turn and we want him to toss in those desperation bluff attempts.

Brad
Old 03-22-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Results

I saw the post too late not to see the results, so take it for what it's worth . . .

With J high on the flop against your overpair, I'd raise the flop. Dare him to call. Depending on his response, play accordingly. I, too, have seen really loose limp/reraises.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:39 PM

I play it exactly the same way you did, and think it's easily the best line. Nice hand.