Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: a 150 hand i forgot about

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This hand takes place against Paul, who is an aggressive player but one who is young and unafraid to lay down when he thinks he is beat. Since I have been at the table, he hasn't lost a showdown(even when putting in action on previous streets). He has been stealing very aggressively and isn't afraid to make a move at the turn.

Paul open raises the button and I call with Ks9h in the BB.

The flop is 8sTs3d. I check-raise, he calls.

The turn is a Jh. I bet, he raises, I three-bet, he pauses and grimaces and calls.

The river is a 4, I bet.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite suprised worm33 doesn't like this. I like it a lot.

Good hand.

Your flop line is one of those "once in awhile lines"...and I know you mentioned that but I think it's worth mentioning again. Start doing it too much and you are being a little too reckless...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - in this particular situation he had been stealing frequently(and lightly) and it seemed like an okay time to play at it. The turn seemed to be a perfect card to keep my foot on the gas after he raised as I envisioned what I'd think with a hand like KT or A8 in his shoes - "Oh [censored]."
-James
Old 09-20-2005, 04:14 AM

IMO he has you on JT and was hoping to counterfiet you on the river. I like it.

EDIT: I like the turn. I'm not sure i don't fold the flop though. yikes.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:23 PM

I'm not saying. Too many prying eyes on this board.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This hand takes place against Paul, who is an aggressive player but one who is young and unafraid to lay down when he thinks he is beat. Since I have been at the table, he hasn't lost a showdown(even when putting in action on previous streets). He has been stealing very aggressively and isn't afraid to make a move at the turn.

Paul open raises the button and I call with Ks9h in the BB.

The flop is 8sTs3d. I check-raise, he calls.

The turn is a Jh. I bet, he raises, I three-bet, he pauses and grimaces and calls.

The river is a 4, I bet.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite suprised worm33 doesn't like this. I like it a lot.

Good hand.

Your flop line is one of those "once in awhile lines"...and I know you mentioned that but I think it's worth mentioning again. Start doing it too much and you are being a little too reckless...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wait till you have something. Flop an open ender, a double gutter....a pair???? I dont know im of the opinion that in a full game against a good player out of posistion that im going to wait till i have one of the above before i go spraying chips all over.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it turns into a good play because of the sensitivity of the fold equity function of THIS particular player as it relates to his turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sensitivity of the fold equity function. Good stuff.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying. Too many prying eyes on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hhahahahahahahahhaaa. It's limit poker, dude. Anyone who can exploit your response to that post is way better than you anyway.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 PM

James,

Lines like this work very well for me. That is because I often play tighter and a little nittier than most of my opponents, and they all know that. If your opponent is suspicious of you in the least, this is chip-spewing. So, you tell me. Was it a good line?
Old 09-20-2005, 02:03 PM

There are a lot of draws on the board, but I don't know if that means he could be semibluffing or he has a weak hand that needs to call the turn for one more bet and fold the river - or if he has a made hand of sorts with outs that he needs to call for one more bet, then will feel comitted to call on the river. I think it's the last one though.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
James,

Lines like this work very well for me. That is because I often play tighter and a little nittier than most of my opponents, and they all know that. If your opponent is suspicious of you in the least, this is chip-spewing. So, you tell me. Was it a good line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Diablo - I believed my image at the time was of the tight and nitty variety. This was my first night in town in several months and I hadn't made much noise at all. I would have seen me as a young kid, probably playing above his head since I am sure that Paul did not recognize me. That's my point, I think that good players so rarely bluff raise or reraise(because few situations warrant it in limit hold 'em) that I think you need to be capable of both to be as successful as you can be against the best players. BK has told me that I get out of line on the turn all the time - which isn't true - but the few times that I have have been so memorable that thinking players like him feel the need to pay me off with suboptimal hands in the future in case I am running them over.
-James
Old 09-20-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is way better than you anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my problem [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]