Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Why Phil Hellmuth will never win another big tourney...

Its simple. The way he treats the dead money. He's already a very well known pro with all the the players at the WSOP. You don't think even the bad players know that if you suckout on phil he's going to be a shell of himself the next few hands? He might as well have a big sign that says 'bust me, it'll be a story you can tell everyone at a party for the the rest of your life' And even after a bad beat, he tells the bad (or even good) player exactly what he did bad and why. Isn't the whole point of poker to get players to MAKE mistakes? How much further would have Phil H. gone if he just sat quietly, played well, and not ejaculated his ego all over the table when a 2-1 underdog sucks out on him?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Why Phil Hellmuth will never win another big tourney...

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think even the bad players know that if you suckout on phil he's going to be a shell of himself the next few hands? He might as well have a big sign that says 'bust me, it'll be a story you can tell everyone at a party for the the rest of your life'

[/ QUOTE ]

So Phil Helmith will never win another big tournament because he has put himself in a position where people are quicker to get all their chips in with the worst hand against him than they are against anybody else.

That's your argument?
That's what you want to go with?
You sure?
Cause it's a free country, you can go with that if you want.
But in your position I might be inclined to go with something else... something not stupid.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:21 AM

I'm going to agree with KneeCo here. But I think you neglect that in tournaments sometimes you don't want your opponents to make a mistake that could cripple or end your tournament.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's your argument?
That's what you want to go with?
You sure?
Cause it's a free country, you can go with that if you want.
But in your position I might be inclined to go with something else... something not stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

fantastic.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:04 AM

PH's bets are +EV, eg AQ vs. KJ. So PH made the right move. Does he not get it? He wins even when loses - following Sklanskyesque reasoning.

He should be ecstatic that KJ called his AQ push.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:26 AM

He will not wni a major tournament until the donkfest fad is over... I agree. but it's not for the reason you stated.

It's because we see his weaknesses exploited, and he doesn't seem to be changing his game. I doubt I will ever play against him, and if I do I won't talk during a hand, but from what I've seen (yes I know it's edited) the man is one of the expert players who think the most expert play of all is the big laydown. Also, he steams, and steams and steams, for much longer than most, which would hurt him in shorthanded situations, i.e. the end of a tourney.

He genuinely seems so insulted that he is playing against donks that he doesnt see them as players at all, and won't adjust his game accordingly.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PH's bets are +EV, eg AQ vs. KJ. So PH made the right move. Does he not get it? He wins even when loses - following Sklanskyesque reasoning.

He should be ecstatic that KJ called his AQ push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the hand was AK vs KJ. -J
Old 10-21-2005, 06:26 AM

Last March, Hellmuth won the heads-up championship. It paid $500,000. He made two final tables at this year's WSOP (finish 10th in one).

So, I think we'll see a Hellmuth win eventually.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:14 AM

you have to understand something, that what you see on TV is about less than 5% of what happens that entire day at that table.... you see him bitch and moan for 40% of that 5% of the time.

Think about it.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:44 AM

Get yourself in enough positions is a big tourney where even your 'only' a 2-1 favorite for all your chips with a field of 1000+, your not winning that tourney.