Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 12:47 PM

Default QQ capped pre-flop

BB doesn't raise light PF. Somewhere around 9% I think. The rest are typical loose passives. I was totally lost on this one.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (10.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 09-28-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: QQ capped pre-flop

The 4-way flop check-call is so yucky. I'd be pretty grateful you got to showdown with just one small bet post flop. Maybe I'm weak but there's almost no way I'm firing at that turn. I might call a bet on the river. Depends on the action (I wouldn't overcall).
Old 09-28-2005, 01:03 PM

I think you can bet the river. Are they really going to check As again when the third 7 hits? Maybe, but they will also call with worse hands enough to make it +EV
Old 09-28-2005, 01:05 PM

Ugh.

Bet/fold the river to BB's raise. Bet/call the river to UTG or c/o's raise. It's fairly obvious no one has an ace.

Edit: the only thing to worry about is BB calling a river bet with KK.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:24 PM

As others have said, betting the river would have been good. unlikely anyone has an ace or a seven.
If BBs 3-betting standards are tight, he's got KK, QQ, JJ or KQ.
Assuming that he's not folding a pair, betting is EV neutral relative to BB even if he never calls with KQ (and you will get calls here some of the time). You might also get a crying call or two from the others.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:41 PM

I am value betting the river for sure here.

The turn is trickier here. My gut says that there is no way I am giving a free card here with a two-flush and assorted straight possibilities on board, notwithstanding the fact that all of the draws that Hero is concerned with are getting proper odds to call one bet. (Yu are still charging them to draw.) So I think you should be the turn and fold to a check-raise from BB.

However, I think this judgment is susceptible to pretty good EV calculations based on how much you gain when you are ahead v. what you give up by possibly foegoing the opportunity to suck out on the river when behind. I will try to do the math later if I have a chance. If anyone else wants to take a stab though I think it would be quite useful to see the numbers here. For now, I am voting for betting the turn.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:47 PM

I vote for betting the turn too. Unless BB has Aces full, that turn still needs protecting. His check is either cuz he's scared or smug. You'll find out after you bet. This is a big pot, everyone thinks you have the ace and you need to bet to protect.
A non c/r'ed turn actually makes the river trickier though becuase they will check to you expecting you to bet. I'm not sure what to do there.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:03 PM

I agree with betting the turn, and certainly value betting the river if you check the turn through and get checked to again. I hate giving diamond draws a free river (not to mention to lose value in their certain calls those times you are ahead), and BB could certainly be 3-betting some middle pair and will call a river bet. All but the most weak-tight and passive players or trickiest players are betting that river IMO with an A or a 7. If you do get CRed on either street, I think you can let go pretty easy depending on your reads and who is raising. BB is the main one you are concerned about (in respect to possibly folding a better hand to his raise), who again may CR with a medium pair (on the turn to shutout drawers) but that comes down to your read on him based on his previous play and style.

My .02, which has been collecting dust as of late.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:58 PM

Thanks. Not even being results oriented I knew I needed another bet in there.
Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 9c 9d (full house, sevens full of nines).
UTG has 4s 5s (three of a kind, sevens).
CO has Ks 6s (three of a kind, sevens).
Hero has Qh Qs (full house, sevens full of queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.25 BB. </font>