Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Default new to pot limit holdem tournaments

What is a basic strategy for pot limit holdem tournaments?
Old 08-06-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: new to pot limit holdem tournaments

just keep clicking the bet pot button.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:48 PM

Early stages of tourney always open pot, usually bet pot on flop in continuation betting or even betting for value especially in HU pots, everything else keep basically the same as NL. Vague, but that should get ya started.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:55 PM

Can someone address why you always bet the size of the pot? I understand that this is standard practice. I see how it would make your plays harder to read, but is there any other reason to do this? Does anyone else play differently than this?

FOITNOF,

-D.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Early stages of tourney always open pot, usually bet pot on flop in continuation betting or even betting for value especially in HU pots, everything else keep basically the same as NL. Vague, but that should get ya started.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, seriously, this is pretty horrible advice. there are few differences btwn PL and NL. Major difference is you'll run into people who will overbet their hands like rounder is suggesting. I like PL for this reason - it is like people forget how to play poker or something. The big thing is controlling the size of the pot. If you don't want someone to be able to bet you out of a pot - keep the pot low with your bets. That's it - some control over how much you're risking on any given hand whereas in NL someone could ask you to risk your whole stack.

CSC
Old 08-06-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, seriously, this is pretty horrible advice. there are few differences btwn PL and NL. Major difference is you'll run into people who will overbet their hands like rounder is suggesting. I like PL for this reason - it is like people forget how to play poker or something. The big thing is controlling the size of the pot. If you don't want someone to be able to bet you out of a pot - keep the pot low with your bets. That's it - some control over how much you're risking on any given hand whereas in NL someone could ask you to risk your whole stack.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank the lord. I thought I was going crazy.

Caveat emptor.
Caveat emptor.
Caveat emptor.

Ok. I think I've got it.

FOITNOF,

-D.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:20 PM

Before you call my advice horribe, consider it is coming from someone who has had a good amount of success in PLHE tournaments, including many top 3 finishes, so take it or leave it, just my thoughts. And maybe I was unclear in saying this, but the betting pot on flop is pretty common practice EARLY ON in these tournaments, not all the way throughout. I also said I was being rather vague in general.......but please, form your own opinions.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:25 PM

WRONG THREAD
Old 08-06-2005, 10:15 PM

The main difference is that you can't make an overbet push. I tend to limp in more, as it is harder to be pushed out. I am more cautious about raising, because it is harder to take control of the pot. Particularly, if I am short enough stacked that I would push, sometimes I will limp or fold rather than raise in a pot limit game.

I don't advise usually betting pot, but there are some times it is correct. Sometimes you can get away with a pot sized bet with a strong hand since people are expecting it. Usually a pot sized raise or reraise preflop is about the right size.

Some people will go crazy betting pot and it is better to stay out of there way unless you have the goods.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:34 PM

The later on you get... the more prevalent a pot bet becomes. Obviously this is because the blinds-->stack ratio diminuishes, to the extent that it almost plays like a NL tourney. (you can get all in on flop/turn)

In the early rounds.. a pot bet (especially from an-unopened/unlimped pot) really achieves next to nothing..so savvy players tend to limp with big hands as well as potential hands, and tend to raise (pot build) with potential hands as well as big hands.. therefore its harder to pin exact meaning on a raise.

Certainly in the early stages.. AA in the hands of a non-folder goes down in value in PL, as good players know they wont be getting worse then 2/1 on any street (assuming heads up) and can play a lot of potential hands with the knowledge they cant get blown out of the pot.

Excercising pot manipulation and using position correctly are a lot more important in PL rather then NL.