Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-26-2005, 02:36 PM

Default gambling for a living

This is a question for those of you out there making a living, or at least steadily making profits playing on-line poker.

I'd like advice on the types of on-line NL Holdem games people are playing for a living. I've been playing on-line for one year, I've played about 200 games, and my winning percentage is just under 40%.

Given these facts, what tables/games should I play to build a bank roll?

Sit-n-Go single tables? Multi-table tourneys? What buy-in levels do you typically play?

From my experience, the $30 and $50 single table sit-n-go tables are a good investment for me in the long run because of the relatively low investment risk per game and high enough payoff.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: gambling for a living

I do it for a living, play 5/10 NL 6 max on pp, I would start SMALL and move up if I was you, I prefer NL to limit cause of the different skill set involves fit me more.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played about 200 games

[/ QUOTE ]

Why only 200 games if you are using poker and living in the same sentence?

Keep playing and you should be able to get a better grip on what fits you best.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:02 PM

I remember thinking I was god's gift to poker too when I first started...

*waiting for somebody to take the ridiculously easy set-up I just offered*
Old 12-26-2005, 05:28 PM

well, if you want to do it for a living, here's my advice:

1) get pokertracker
2) I'd play at least 50,000 or so hands before you think about doing it as a living
3) look at your win rate, and your hourly rate, and figure out how much you'd have to play to pay all of your expenses.

I've made a living for about 5 months 4-6 tabling 2/4 and 3/6, but I'm a college student and don't have a whole lot of expenses. (I can live pretty comfortably for less than $1k a month) but it's a stressful living, if you ask me. I'd much rather have another job, there just aren't any that pay a 19-year old as well as this.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only played tournaments, not cash games. So I'll clarify by saying I've played 200 tournaments and make it in the money 40% of the time. But I'll take your point just the same, I should get more experience playing.

On another note, what data do you log when you play? Do you log every hand, or just hourly data based on your chip stack?

thanks.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember thinking I was god's gift to poker too when I first started...

*waiting for somebody to take the ridiculously easy set-up I just offered*

[/ QUOTE ]

Your witness.

(what do i win?)
Old 12-26-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only played tournaments, not cash games. So I'll clarify by saying I've played 200 tournaments and make it in the money 40% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've played 200 tournaments in the past week and I'm small time. Ask again when you hit 2000 and have a decent ROI. Actually you won't have to ask by then, you'll have a pretty good idea.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only played tournaments, not cash games. So I'll clarify by saying I've played 200 tournaments and make it in the money 40% of the time. But I'll take your point just the same, I should get more experience playing.

On another note, what data do you log when you play? Do you log every hand, or just hourly data based on your chip stack?

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean 200 games as in 200 tournaments? Glad to see you're doing well but you will need loads more experience before playing for a living.

Personally I'm turning pro in the next few weeks playing 3/6 limit 6max.

You won't find an answer as to which game is most profitable overall. My advice is to try out everything and to find what is most profitable for you. I played SnG's and Omaha8 before I settled into 6max limit hold'em. Go learn the basics of and play micro-limits of every game that interests you. Move up level by level when you find you are dominating. Always keep striving to learn and improve. What is your bankroll? Tiger Gaming has excellent micro-limit hold'em tables, that's where I started a year ago =) Best of luck
Old 12-26-2005, 07:48 PM

It isn't possible to play for a living at the $50 games. If you're talking about the ten handed sit and go's and you're winning almost 40% you're playing well AND catching cards. This number isn't sustainable in the long run. My half johnny chan, half phil helmuth robot only wins 28% in those things and he's super good. Keep building a roll at that level and take your shots at bigger games. When I'm feeling frisky I play $200 5 man and heads up games at the fish pond as i call it (real site name not found). I'd say these games are still fishy for the level, but that's my opinion. You've got to test the waters yourself and see how high you can go without losing your comfort level.