Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-26-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: gambling for a living

[ QUOTE ]
It isn't possible to play for a living at the $50 games. If you're talking about the ten handed sit and go's and you're winning almost 40% you're playing well AND catching cards. This number isn't sustainable in the long run. My half johnny chan, half phil helmuth robot only wins 28% in those things and he's super good. Keep building a roll at that level and take your shots at bigger games. When I'm feeling frisky I play $200 5 man and heads up games at the fish pond as i call it (real site name not found). I'd say these games are still fishy for the level, but that's my opinion. You've got to test the waters yourself and see how high you can go without losing your comfort level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be such a Negative Nancy.

He's going to win the WSOP this year.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It isn't possible to play for a living at the $50 games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Post this in the STT forum, then duck.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It isn't possible to play for a living at the $50 games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't reply when you have no idea what you are talking about. Some pro's live at the $22s and $33s.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My half johnny chan, half phil helmuth robot only wins 28%

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey noob, he said he was in the money 40% of the time. FWIW, I (and many others) could 8 table- $10SNG's, 40 hours a week and pay the rent and eat, but would not enjoy it one bit.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:44 PM

er I played 500 SnG's when i was first starting out and was ITM 49% of the time - and still two years and many $1000's won later am nowhere near good enough to even use the words 'semi-pro' in a sentence with my name
Old 12-26-2005, 11:09 PM

I make a living at the 50s... And it's decent.
...But 200 tourneys is what I do in 5 days, not one year!

Seems like (emphasis on "seems") you can beat the tourneys you've played at, but before you even think about being pro, you should play loads more hour to see if you have the stamina (underrated by mosts!) and if you still win while multitabling. Once you reach around 1k tourney you can start thinking in terms of hourly winrate and number o hours to put per week, and you can post again for more advice if it still looks doable.
Good luck.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:01 AM

I posted the original topic/question above...

I want to clarify that I consider myself a newbie, and my original posting was to get advice on how/what pros are playing? It wasn't my intention to say look at me, I've played 200 games and I'm ready to turn pro. My intended question was, given the facts I listed, what are my next steps?

I've seen people at the 20,30, and 50 sit-n-go tables who have played over 2000 games so I'm guessing there is a way to make money long-term at those games. The way I see it there are usually 7 fish at those tables so it's pretty easy to make it in the money.

I have very little experience with the cash games so I'll continue my sit-n-go tables and experiment with the cash games.

Seriously, thanks to those who have replied with your experience/advice. Good stuff!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:09 AM

THere's a 1 table tournament forum that's strictly for sit n gos. There's people who make a living at the 50's (and even the 30's) but like others said, they play more than 200 per week.

If you can achieve 10% ROI you're getting back $5.50 per tournament so you can figure out how many you'd need to play per week to live. However I wouldn't trust your current ROI based on your sample size. Try to play at least 10 per night and in 3 months re-evaluate.

It also sounds like you might be playing 1 table at a time. When you start playing 8 at a time your ROI drops quite a bit but your hourly rate goes way up.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:44 AM

Some people in this thread have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to sngs.

First of all, buyin by itself means nothing. Before we know if they can earn a decent income, we need to know hours, skill and how many tables they play.

A decent 8tabling $22er will make over 50k a year, working less than 30hrs a week with 10+ weeks off per year.

Don't go telling me you have to play at least 250 $55s a week to make a living. You don't need 6 figs to make a living.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My intended question was, given the facts I listed, what are my next steps?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spend about a week reading the archives of the one-table tournaments forum.