Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Should I make the call?

[ QUOTE ]
I hear you alec,

I realize the preflop call was probably off. at the same time. i was way up on the table and could afford to be a little loose in the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

How you can ever make money long-term with this kind of thinking is beyond me.

1) Every new hand is a blank slate. When you make a call that is -EV, you lose the same amount of money every time, regardless if you've been winning or losing recently.

2) Every time you get involved in a pot in NL, you can lose your whole stack. And by the way, if you say that can't happen to you here, then your implied odds must be a lot worse than you claim -- if you're not willing to risk your stack, you won't win anyone elses, either.

[ QUOTE ]

This was one such situation. I felt that with the call there i could really cash in if i hit and if i missed, i could get myself out for nothing more if a more freightening card came.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, why not fold the flop, which also obviously missed you? You're drawing dead to soooo many hands that both the raiser and one of the callers could have. Yet you seemed to really want to keep playing. This looks to me like your self-discipline is a lot lower than you believe it to be.

Also, I'd be more worried about what to do when the flop hits you. What do you do if you flop a K or Q, and the pf-raiser bets at you and someone calls? You certainly can't fold. Calling is probably also bad. But you may be behind and drawing dead or to 3 outs. Maybe you are much better at reading opponents pre-flop play than I am, but I'd rather not put myself in the position of having to make this decision in the first place.

Just muck pre-flop.