Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 10:14 AM

Default It may be a Pipe Dream, but...

link
<font color="red"> Condi to replace Cheney next year?
Report: Vice president likely to step down 'due to his health'
</font>

Vice President Dick Cheney likely will step down next year due to health reasons and be replaced by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, according to a report by geopolitical expert Jack Wheeler.

On his website, To the Point, Wheeler reports there's a "red-breasted rumor bird" flying around Capitol Hill that has whispered the same thing to most congressional committee chairmen.

"We all know that Dick Cheney has been the best vice president of modern times, perhaps in American history," one such chairman told Wheeler. "And we know that he absolutely will not run for president in 2008. Further, he has an unfortunate history of heart trouble. So let's just say none of us will be surprised if, sometime next year, he will step down from the vice presidency due to his health."

Continued the source: "Should this happen, President Bush would need to appoint his replacement, just as Richard Nixon chose Gerald Ford to replace Spiro Agnew. It is quite clear to us whom the president would choose should he need to: Condoleezza Rice."

Wheeler goes on to analyze what such a scenario would mean for the 2008 presidential election.

Writes Wheeler: "Being a sitting vice president places Condi in an impregnable position for the GOP nomination in 2008 and sucks every breath of wind from Hillary's sails. Historically, it's hard for a party to keep the White House after they've had it for eight years. This is George Bush and Dick Cheney's way to buck history – and make it."

Serving as Bush's national security adviser during his first term, Rice took over the State Department last month.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: It may be a Pipe Dream, but...

I dont like Condi or Cheney. I dont want Cheney to step down because I like the purity of them running the whitehouse with neither of them seeking the presidency next term.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont want Cheney to step down because I like the purity of them running the whitehouse with neither of them seeking the presidency next term.

[/ QUOTE ]

True dat.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:31 PM

"No one could've imagined that terrorists would use planes as missiles."

Enough said.

q/q
Old 02-19-2005, 07:05 PM

Dick Morris says Condi, McCain, and Guliani are the only people who could beat Hillary in 08 and that McCain and Guliani couldn't possibly make it through the Republican primaries. I don't put much faith into what he says, but I sure as hell hope the Republicans run Condi in 08 .. considering this:

http://www.pollingreport.com/politics.htm#President
Old 02-19-2005, 09:09 PM

I dont really like Dick Morris, but his analysis is usually dead on.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:42 PM

Wow, things are moving quick! An unsubstantiated rumor has Cheney stepping down, then Bush tapping Rice as his replacement, and then Rice runs for Prez in 2008.

But it is 2005, not 2008, and Rice proved to be an incompetent, yet sufficiently sycophantic, National Security Advisor to get a big promotion from W (for whom nothing is valued higher than being surrounded by sycophants).

Anyway, Cheney seems to quite enjoy his power, Rice has lost a ton of credibility, and neither Hillary or Guiliani is very electable.

When I have a fever I imagine things too... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Frank [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2005, 09:49 PM

I'm a democrat and I'm really sick of this Hillary in 2008 talk. I think that would be suicide for the dems.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:57 PM

Various rumors and Dick Morris also thought Colin Powell would replace Cheney at the republican convention.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:32 AM

Morris likes to make outrageous predictions because people will remember them if they come true. It's easy to predict something that it likely.