Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Deism Plus an Afterlife.

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any religions that believe that God got the ball rolling but then doesn't interfere until after a conscious creature dies? (Besides Sklanskyanity of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's necessary for a Creator God to break the laws of nature or physics in order to do "miracles". In fact, if there were a diety who did such things, I would consider him to be an inferior trickster of a diety and look for a better one. The kind of miracle that impresses me is the loaves and fishes kind. No, not produced by a trickster diety who magically created loaves and fishes out of nothing just to impress people. But the miracle of people who came late to the gathering being inspired to share what they brought with those who had been there before and were now out of food and hungry. It's funny, but there are many who say that this view of the loaves and fishes miracle takes all meaning out of it. While for me, it's the only view that does have meaning. A God who can produce such a miracle is one worth knowing imo. A trickster diety is just a Joker as far as I'm concerned.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-01-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did Jesus Christ get laid a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know, but he kept company with a lot of whores.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:36 AM

I think it's hard to believe in a real reward/punishment in the afterlife if you are a deist. It just doesn't add up. It's certainly a possibility, but if God got the ball rolling and left us to our own devices, why would he be likely to punish or reward after death? Wouldn't he be more likely to still remain far away?

Unless you view life as one giant test where you are graded at the end. The problem I have with that is that questions in life don't have anwers which are clearly right or wrong.

When people say the goal in life is to "help people" I want to throw up in my mouth. Help them do what? Let's say we solved war, famine, poverty, and prejudice. Now what? Are we all going to heaven if we don't break any laws? How would you help people now? Help them to be happy? Why? Is joy a virtue?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:46 AM

The sexual exploits would have been repressed by the leaders of the establishment. Certainly can't have your savior going about and talking about the expression of love through the sexual act: not how they wanted their messiah to be perceived by the masses; doesn't fit in with their ideas of the sinful self. Pleasure? what's that? Keep you head bowed and walk the tightrope of church law---that kind of thing.

He and his disciple John sure did spend alot of time together though. Who knows? Maybe there was something there also, but YOU KNOW that the masses weren't ready for that back then. Repress that for sure. You see where it got us: the attempt to repress such a physical act of love, either way, in time has caused the over-exagerations to come forth. The natural-ness of physical love and its many expressions cannot be denied. The people will not be denied, nor can expression be denied. It may be buried, hidden for awhile, but time will reveal that which has been secreted away. All this of course is mere speculation.

That said, maybe one day a "lost book" may come forth that details the sexual adventures of the Christ and even his disciples. Not likely in our lifetime though. Not even a one-outer I would say.

If he didn't have sex, then that would explain the reports of miracles! Some people believe that repression of sexual energy gives them greater strength and stamina, and power. Think of all the monks and hermits, or even a boxer before a big fight: "I want you to knock it off, Rock. Quit playing with that girl of yours. Women make weak legs." Or something like that.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your inability to debate and lack of understanding are causing you to descend into rank mediocrity. You are approaching the level of those who pulled out His beard and spit in His face.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:17 PM

David,

In The Da Vinci Code, it's speculated that Jesus and Mary Magdeline were together and had a child. It also speculates that this blood-line still exists and is kept alive by an old cult (much like the one depicted in Eyes Wide Shut). I don't think anyone can answer your question 100% accurately, but it is speculated that he "got laid". How much, I don't know.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before I go to the trouble of fine tuning and establishing more details of Sklanskyanity (a religion that prides itself on not having to many precise details by the way). I need to find out something. Perhaps you theologians out there could help me with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the chicks dug him because he was hung.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your inability to debate and lack of understanding are causing you to descend into rank mediocrity. You are approaching the level of those who pulled out His beard and spit in His face.

[/ QUOTE ]

And as for you . . . well, I just plain don't like you.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:59 PM

I guess no one realizes I was making fun of MYSELF with that question. I could have just as easily substituted Abraham or Mohammed or Joseph Smith or your buddy Calvin, for Jesus in that post.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess no one realizes I was making fun of MYSELF with that question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I didn't realize that.