Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 07:02 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.
Default \"I earned Political Capital in the election, and I intend to spend it\"

I said this today in my press conference. It is the right approach to take for my new term. The American people have spoken.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:03 PM

Default Re: \"I earned Political Capital in the election, and I intend to spend

who said such a thing...
Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Re: \"I earned Political Capital in the election, and I intend to spend it\"

Its an interesting and in a way worrying quote.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Re: \"I earned Political Capital in the election, and I intend to spend it\"

He's likely referring to domestic initiatives:

WASHINGTON - Contending Americans have embraced his conservative agenda, President Bush (news - web sites) pledged Thursday to aggressively pursue major changes in Social Security (news - web sites), the tax code and medical malpractice awards, working with Democrats if they are receptive and leaving them behind if they're not.

Bush Pledges to Make Changes to Tax Code

I expect him to propose to make his tax cuts permanent, perhaps a consumption tax, introduce private savings accounts in lieu of S.S. contributions and legislation limiting punative damages in medical malpractice cases.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:37 PM

No tax cut can be permanent, can it? Is it not the case that the tax cuts are set to expire at some time in the future and that by making them "permanent," we mean to eliminate the expiration of the reduced rates?

Indeed, Bush specifically mentioned Social Security, tax simplification, and medical malpractice awards at his press conference today. I would also guess that he might propose permanent elimination of the estate tax.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:42 PM

"working with Democrats if they are receptive and leaving them behind if they're not."

This is an example of two things.

1. Why Bush scares the hell out of me as president.
2. Why Bush will never be a uniter like he claims.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:55 PM

The Federal Estate Tax costs more money to administer than it collects. How it has survived for this long is beyond me. That being said, I don't think it will really even make much of a difference whether its elimination becomes permanent or not for all but a VERRRRY few people. By the time 2010 rolls around, the credit is going to cover everything up to 5 million. When the estate tax gets eliminated, the stepped-up basis goes with it. Between the 5 million that passes tax-free, and the unlimited marital deduction, the elimination of the tax would probably only affect people who have estates north of 15-20 million.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:34 AM

And the reason I love him ...... if the Dems won't work with him and the republican congress then who needs them. The simple fact of the matter is that there are some that it is not possible to work with.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:54 AM

Default No doubt. I presume you gonna leave a huge deficit there, as well

What else is new?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2004, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I earned Political Capital in the election, and I intend to spend it

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"working with Democrats if they are receptive and leaving them behind if they're not."

This is an example of two things.

1. Why Bush scares the hell out of me as president.
2. Why Bush will never be a uniter like he claims.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually an example of a strong president. Bush knows he will never get everything he wants. He knows he will have to give some things he doesn't want.

Bush is letting the democrats know that he is the one who will be setting the agenda. He is not saying anything like, "Its my way or the highway" as you are implying.

If Kerry he had won the presidency along with democratic control of the congress, he wouldn't have the leadership skills to set an agenda.

Stu