Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 11:48 PM

Default 1st hand JJ decison, 10+1

Late position.
2 limpers, one raise to 40
folds to me, i re-raise to 200, small blind re-re-reraises to 600.
folded back to me.
This is a no brainer fold right?

Just making sure as I've busted 10th today twice (once with AA once with KK), so I ask this newbish question while in minor annoy'd tilt mode just to make sure I did the right thing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: 1st hand JJ decison, 10+1

I think this is a fold. This early in the tournament I would just call the raise and see what the flop brings.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:13 AM

Yeah, with three guys already in the pot I don't like the reraise. JJ likes to be played agressively HU, but it's only a fan of multiway pots when it gets in cheap. All I think your raise does is 1) get you invovled in a big pot with several players early on when the flop will likely bring tricky overs 2) getting you reraised all-in by a premium hand. You're not under any pressure this early to take advantage of a hand like JJ, wait till you are to make this move (when it's a push). For now, sneak in and try to flop a set.

As for facing the reraise, you're dominated or a slight favorite (coin flip) more often then you dominate a smaller pair. So yeah, calling is a no-go.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:14 AM

Easy fold. The re-raiser has KK or AA most likely. It's very rare that you will face a re-raise bluff in these levels.

I personally limp with JJ in the early stages to see what the flop brings. This may be too tight, but it seems to work for me.

The way I see it is, any K, Q, or A can pair knock me out if I'm all-in, it just isn't worth it.

Don't fall in love with a hand! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2005, 01:10 AM

This post whirls me all different ways inside. I hate jacks.

I probably just call the t40 and run away from any overcard flop like the vag I am.

I think the "He MUST have AA/KK" is flawed. Too many times (Esp at the 11s) you'll see some random hands like AQ ending up in the fray. I also could see the SB doing this with AK. Folding 1/4 of my stack just isn't an option after your raise.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:03 AM

I had a very similar hand yesterday at the 20+2. I folded as well, and the villans turned up AQ and TT.

At 10+1 I'll probably call (more likely push for the last 200), because you have people pushing with KQo and medium pairs very often. But I also have too many 9+10th place finishes, probably because of this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

In the future, I'll probably call the initial raise instead of reraising with JJ.