Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Poker Books

I have read both of Dan Harrington's newest books and think they are good, but possibly a bit too conservative if you aren't dealt good enough hands in online poker tournaments. I have also read Gary Carson's poker book, Super System, Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros and some of TJ Cloutier's Tournament book.

Is that enough literature for me? Can someone give me a list of books (in order) for me to read. I have been playing poker for about six-seven years now and have had success. Will any book put me over the top so I can play a tad bit more aggressively?

I'm a No Limit hold'em player.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Poker Books

Books are good and can provide insight into the minds of the pros, if you buy a book and it advocates a style of play that you think isn't xxxxx enough, then tweak it. Lots of players play successfully in lots of different ways.

Harrington's books are great and yes, they advocate a conservative style in the early stages of a tournament with looser play in the later stages.

Why do you need someone's approval to play more aggressively? Selective aggression is the key. If you want to play like Gus Hansen or another hyper-aggressive player, be careful what you wish for.

Are you sure you aren't just being impatient waiting for good hands and want a pro's approval to play crap?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:42 PM

I guess I'm just saying that there are going to be a good deal of days where you make the correct laydowns when you are beat. I just have some tournaments where I am blinded out, I play good cards and call with suited connectors when I can limp or get good pot odds. I mix up my raises when early players fold and I'm in good position in order to pick up blinds.

That's all well and good but when I pick up K3, Q4, 82 off for 20 minutes straight is there anything I can do? I still raise, for instance with a hand like K3 on the button when there are folds in front, but when I get a caller and a flop of

A 10 3 and the caller bets hard at the pot what am I supposed to do? I kick it in and lose chips.

I don't have a problem making it through a field to the money its that final table that is escaping me, and I'm confused about that. Maybe it's the cards.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:47 PM

Welcome to Poker (again). You are going to have days where you don't get any cards and the ones you do get (which are barely playable) someone is fighting back at you.

Just fold and move on to the next hand. If you are on the button and try a steal and meet resistance, fold and move on. It's that simple.

Patience is key.

Think about it this way, the money you don't lose when you fold is just as good as money won. Your opponents won't be as patient as you. Get a chuckle out of watching them play crap.

Take their $ when you have the nuts and be patient when you don't.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:16 AM

if you only play no limit i wouldnt read super system 2 the nl sections basicly the same as in the first one but if your looking for info on the other games of today supersystem2 is the book for you