Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Keep the short stack alive?

[ QUOTE ]
The SS is on your left, which clearly is less attractive. You are right in that he will have to call pretty much any-two. This strategy works great when there are TWO short-stacks and one moderate stack and you have a huge stack.
Personally, I would push here. Taking the blinds gives you more chips, and now you can attack the medium stack (not with any two, but just more than you normally would), since he's more likely to wait for the new SS to get aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it works best when there is ONE shortstack. if there are too then you have to fold too much to keep them alive, since you can opnly push against the medium stack left.

This is a clear cut 100% fold. The shortie will not be calling nearly as much as you think - because he will figure out soon that you are protecting him and letting him keep his BB. Sometimes he will - but then yer in the same shape as you are if you call here, sow hats the loss? Fold here, take his SB next hand, and keep pushing as long as they let you.you should have 80-90% of the chips by the time the bubble ends.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: And what if you are the mid stack?

this was a good discussion confirming what to do in this situation as the big stack. now what if you are one of the mid stacks? that is, if big stack is pushing on your blind every time in this kind of bubble situation, what should your calling standards be?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The SS is on your left, which clearly is less attractive. You are right in that he will have to call pretty much any-two. This strategy works great when there are TWO short-stacks and one moderate stack and you have a huge stack.
Personally, I would push here. Taking the blinds gives you more chips, and now you can attack the medium stack (not with any two, but just more than you normally would), since he's more likely to wait for the new SS to get aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it works best when there is ONE shortstack. if there are too then you have to fold too much to keep them alive, since you can opnly push against the medium stack left.

This is a clear cut 100% fold. The shortie will not be calling nearly as much as you think - because he will figure out soon that you are protecting him and letting him keep his BB. Sometimes he will - but then yer in the same shape as you are if you call here, sow hats the loss? Fold here, take his SB next hand, and keep pushing as long as they let you.you should have 80-90% of the chips by the time the bubble ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most absurd thing Ive ever heard? You expect 80-90% of the chips after the bubble?? Cmon, things do not always work out this rosy.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:19 PM

Classic. I was in the exact same situation last night, unfortunately, I didn't get any interesting comments. Shortstack went on to get 2nd after I stole from the 2 medium stacks from about 1800 down to virtually zero. I couldn't understand why they didn't realise what was happening and make a move against the smallstack themselves (he was to my right). A lot of fun though!