Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2003, 02:20 PM

Default AQo UTG in huge pot

UTG with AQ and I raise in a 7 handed 4/8 live game. The floor mgr (FM) is playing in the game as a kind of a prop for this s/h table and has been gambling it up. He cold calls. 2 more very loose players call and now a LP guy who's waiting on the 20/40 game 3 bets. Blinds fold, I call, all call.

Flop comes A with 2 diamonds (I have no [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] ). I come out betting. FM and one other of the loose players calls and now LP raises. I consider folding to a possible AK/AA from the LP, but the pots getting too big. I want to eliminate the loose players, so I 3 bet to try and get it HU.

A lot of good that did, now FM caps, other loosie calls, LP calls and I call. I put no meaning in FM cap, I think it was purely a WTF cap, possibly pumping a diamond draw. But now we're all tied to the pot.

Turn is non diamond K. Not a great card for me, but I bet out. All call and I'm happy that LP didn't raise again. So I think I can take him off AA/AK.

River is off suit 4. I bet, the gamboolers fold and LP calls me down. Results to follow. Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:31 PM

Default Re: AQo UTG in huge pot

Preflop: I would have capped. I want to set up the possibility of taking this pot away from AK if we both miss.

Flop: I like the play. See my comments in the thread "what the?"

Turn: I wouldn't have bet the turn. You are in some real trouble here. I'd probably have to take this hand to showdown, but I wouldn't be happy about it. I'd prefer to check and call down, but wouldn't put more than 2 big bets into the pot after the turn.

River: Not sure what you're hoping to accomplish with this river bet. You're certainly going to be called by a better hand. Will you get a worse hand to call? Perhaps, but it seems quite likely to me that LP still has you beat. But, since you're going to call anyways, you may want to bet so that some of the loosies call you prior to the likely call by LP. If you check and it gets checked to LP who bets and you call, it's almost like you give the loosies a get out of jail free card (ie, they know SOMEONE called, so they don't have to call). You may get raised here, but it seems unlikely. I imagine you were shown AK a very high percentage of the time from someone worried about AA or KK.

Other than the turn play, I think you played it fine.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:00 PM

I think you played it well on all streets. You were already losing to AK on the flop so the king on the turn hurts some but could be worse. I'm guessing you end up chopping this up with the caller as he was trying to thin the field also and then put you on AK with the 3 bet. FM was probably pushing a diamond draw and loosy probably the same, but if he was real loose maybe middle pair on the flop and called with his tainted 5 outer to the river. I put LP on AQ, probably sooooted.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:38 AM

Default Results

Like Punker said, I felt kind of foolish betting on the turn, but as it turns out I was ahead at that point.

LP turned over A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] for top pair and nut flush draw and two paired it on the river to beat me.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:51 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

id have gone for a c/r on the flop. many higher limit players will stay aggressive after the flop if checked to...you bet, his raise, then youre raise isnt getting anyone out really. especially the draws. though your 3 bet does charge them pretty good. betting out after raising preflop, it's most likely you have an A than a draw. LP could have a draw also...

"I consider folding to a possible AK/AA from the LP, but the pots getting too big"

if youre read were really these hands, why go this far with a dominated hand? ok...your read wasnt this strong...but again, with a flush draw on board, youre not getting it HU.

good turn bet...you may have gained much needed info there...your hand may be good...

they guy may have slowed down with AK...doubt it though....i also doubt hed also play AA this way on the turn. especially with the blank hitting...BUT he may have KK or AQ or a lesser kicker....but with a flush draw. or maybe just a flush draw only...which is very possible...a suited connecting, nut flush draw...

now to the results...

b
Old 03-12-2003, 11:06 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

there is no way the LP has him beat the way he played the turn. if he had a hand, hed be charging the flush draw 2 big bets to see the river. he gained alot of info by betting the turn here. im not going into check call mode just yet. youve represented AK to the turn...when the K hits the turn, its a great time to bet....which probably saved him from seeing a raise on the river when the guy hit 2 pair. if the hands were face up, the LP probably wouldve raised the turn if he had 12 outs, and if he did have 12 outs it wouldve been a +EV play for him. but can be a tough raise to do...

usually if youre raised on the turn here, you can lay down. since it usually will confirm at least 2 pair for the other guys holding...and in this case, since you bet the turn representing AK, hed likely raise with at least that hand or better...

the river...worse hands will call...there's only one other guy showing strength in the hand, and he stopped on the turn. there's no reason to think he doesnt have the best hand here. and if someone does have a better hand, and didnt bet it on the turn, they saved you chips anyways...so it's a wash...along with the additional savings since a better hand didnt raise the river...

b