Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Card Rooms close to Madison, WI?

Went to Milwuakee and played at Potowatami(sp). It's terrible. Friday night and the highest limit game they spread all night is 5/10. It's dirty and smelled like someone puked 5 gallons of Bud Light on the floor.

Does anyone know of a good card room within an hour or so of Madison.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Card Rooms close to Madison, WI?

Ho Chunk (Baraboo Ws.) is still in arbitration with the state, regarding MONEY. Pehaps when that is settled, they will re-open their (about) eight table room, which was quite nice.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:08 PM

I played there before it closed. IMO it's much nicer than the room in Milwaukee. Hopefully they get it settled soon.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:56 PM

Potowatomi used to have the juciest $20-$40 game for 1000 miles around. Sadly, the room could probably still support a 10-20 game most days except that they would rather fill the room with 2/4 and 5/10 and NL games than help cultivate a 10/20 game. As a result, all of the 10/20+ players don't show up anymore, which makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:23 PM

Exactly. Potawatomi and "President" (St Louis Mo.) are neck in neck for being the "worst of the worst".

[ QUOTE ]
Potowatomi used to have the juciest $20-$40 game for 1000 miles around. Sadly, the room could probably still support a 10-20 game most days except that they would rather fill the room with 2/4 and 5/10 and NL games than help cultivate a 10/20 game. As a result, all of the 10/20+ players don't show up anymore, which makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-25-2005, 09:26 PM

My House
Old 10-25-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Went to Milwuakee and played at Potowatami(sp). It's terrible. Friday night and the highest limit game they spread all night is 5/10. It's dirty and smelled like someone puked 5 gallons of Bud Light on the floor.

Does anyone know of a good card room within an hour or so of Madison.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Oneida in Green Bay has a much nicer, cleaner, better-smelling room than Potowatomi. They run 3-6, 4-8 kill, 5-10, and a lame NL game ($200 Max, 2/5 blinds). But man, it's better than Milwaukee's room, no question about it.

Doubt the Milwaukee room smelled like puked-up Bud Light, though ... it's a no-drinking room [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd just splurge and head to Canterbury in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis). Best of the Midwest rooms, without question. And you can find any game you want there, too. I'm pretty sure they spread $30-$60 and maybe even $50-$100.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:06 PM

Highest limit at Canterbury is 30-60, I guess Minnesota law doesn't allow bets over $60 which is why there are no NL games at Canterbury. However if you have the time I would recommend the trip because it is a very nice room with very good games.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:45 AM

So I'm going to Waukesha next week and I'll most likely have nothing to do after 5pm on Tuesday and Wednesday, and maybe early in the day on Friday. Is Potowatomi my only option? Where exactly is it and how far is it from Waukesha? Ho Chunk is about 2 hours away, no? That's going to be too far.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:26 AM

Waukesha (depending on exactly where) is probably 20-25 minutes to Potawatomi (which is far if you ask non-gambling Wisconsites). Nothing else is close (Green Bay 2+ hours, Ho Chunk doesn't have a poker room, Chicagoland rooms 2+ hours and not any better, Indiana poker rooms too far as well).

If you're looking for live poker, the "Pot" is small, slightly stinky but it'll have to do. I don't think it's as bad as others say, depending on the limits you want (2-4, 5-10, NL filled with mostly bad players. The 5-10 has improved since they've struggled to get a 10-20 going and most of the really bad 10-20 players started running out of money).