Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Conservative Perception of Liberals

I'd like to believe that I have some understanding of conservative ideology. I'm very liberal, but I recognize why people hold differing political beliefs from my own. I don't think conservatives are stupid, irrational, or whatever. I think you're totally wrong, but only because I think I have a firm grasp on the basic ideas of left and right. That's why a reccent interaction in one of my politics classes was very puzzling.

This conservative kid was complaining about Bush and how much money he is spending on relief and other things. He said that he didn't understand why liberals didn't like Bush-- after all, he was increasing government spending and that's what we like.

At first, I thought this was a joke. But it wasn't. His perception of liberals is that we just want to increase government spending for whatever reason. I was blown away.

Do other conservatives have similar perceptions about the ideology of liberals? If so, why?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Conservative Perception of Liberals

I think it's very important to have a good understanding of the other side. I used to be very liberal, and am now a bit left of center. But when I look at the far left, I see what conservatives dislike, and it helps me think about their beliefs more objectively. In general, there is a lack of understanding coming from both sides.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:19 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Do other conservatives have similar perceptions about the ideology of liberals?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Many do.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
If so, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are a) stupid or b) trying to sell books.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At first, I thought this was a joke. But it wasn't. His perception of liberals is that we just want to increase government spending for whatever reason. I was blown away.

Do other conservatives have similar perceptions about the ideology of liberals? If so, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because liberals almost always advocate increasing government spending to attempt to solve problems? Maybe there are times it is a good idea, maybe other times it isn't, but when was the last time liberals didn't advocate more government spending on any non-defense significant issue?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:42 PM

I wonder if this Jack fella was the guy in your class.

Anyways, you were in a polysci class. Many people in polysci classes don't know their ass from their elbow. Happens on both sides. People get a little knowledge about politics and they think they're experts and that they know everything about everything. Even though I'm liberal, I hate hearing immature liberal politics as much as immature conservative politics.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate hearing immature liberal politics as much as immature conservative politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. I'm interested in increasing spending for government programs that I believe have a positive social benifit. Not programs that are useless or outdated or whatever. The spending Bush is doing seems to be more about an unwilingness to choose between priorities (war in iraq vs. hurricane relief).

Liberals don't like to just throw money at problems-- we actually think government and state intervention can be a positive force in society. government can do things that the private sector cannot.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do other conservatives have similar perceptions about the ideology of liberals?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Many do.

[ QUOTE ]
If so, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are a) stupid or b) trying to sell books.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD. Very nice.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

government can do things that the private sector cannot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what? Mess things up? Skew the free market? Stagnate growth?

Conservatives don't like the liberial mindset of coddling, elitist, I-know-better-than-you-because-I-went-to-haaavaard line. They like the whole. I'll take care of me and my family and you take care of your own.

When has the government ever be altruistic? They are the most selfish of all beasts. Republicans and Democrates.

-Gryph
Old 10-20-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When has the government ever be altruistic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any natural disaster? Of course the extent to which the government helps the disaster is determined by who heads the department that helps disasters and who appoints these people. But that's another thread...
Old 10-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Default A Radio Interview I Heard Today

I listened to an interview today of a republican congressman from Texas. He said in his opinion that 20% of all republican politicians are fiscally irresponsible while 98% of democrat is fiscally irresponsible. The problem was this created a majority of irresponsible spenders in the congress and senate. I am in 100% AGREEMENT with this. It reminds me of Ann Coulter's quip that there are lots of bad republicans but no good democrats. Normally a president uses his veto pen to keep this in check but that [censored] jackass Bush43 has not used his veto pen ONCE.

The last time we had a semi fiscally responsible congress was under Newt Gingrich. I am not a big fan of Tom DeLay because he places Bush43's agenda as a top priority while making a balance budget a non-priority. By the way, Bush43 (and Bush41) are NOT conservatives. His claim of being a ‘compassionate conservative’ is just codespeak for liberal-lite with a stronger foreign policy. Bush43 is spending like a drunken sailor (farm bill, education bill, highway bill, Katrina give-away, prescription drug bill). And Bush43's lap dog Tom Delay has paved the way to get these bills passed.

I think the liberals are weak on defense and appeasers/cowards in foreign policy. Former FBI director Louis Freeh (sp?) said there was strong evidence that Iran was behind the Kobar (sp?) tower attacks in Saudia Arabia but Clinton chose to do nothing. USS Cole, continuous violations by Iraq/other nations on the oil-for-food-program, appeasement towards North Korea. etc..

My view of liberals is they love to cut defense/intelligence, overspend on social programs, and cower to aggression/threats from hostile nations.