Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Push or Fold??
PUSH!!!! 95 76.61%
fold. 29 23.39%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Lame AQ question

Fixed, thank you Shean. I automatically was multiplying my pairs x 2, stupid cribbage scoring always gets the better of me.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM

I 3-bet. We're ahead of a good chunk of middle position raising hands, and have position. I would only fold if I had a read that MP1 was overly tight. Raise over cold-calling to get the hands headsup, create dead money in the blinds.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:43 PM

Without a read, just fold A-Q preflop to a raise. Even if you happen to have the best hand, you have no way of knowing that. Often times your going to get stuck dumping off a lot of bets with the second best hand (ie, flop is Q-8-3 against KK; A-10-3 against AK; etc.). And when you do make the best hand, you're normally not going to get paid off anyway. The reality is that you're only going to hit an A or Q 1/3 of the time on the flop (and plenty of times you hit your Q and still don't have top pair b/c a K hits, thus the power of A-K, always TPTK if you hit). So 2/3 the time, you have an unimproved A-Q. Even if you have the best hand and the original raiser has K-Jo, what are you going to do when he keeps firing away? Keep calling and praying you're good? So 2/3 the time you're going to miss and probably end up having to let go of it, and 1/3 of the time you're going to hit and be left guessing if you're good or not. Make things easy on yourself and fold to the preflop raise, assuming no reads. This is at best a neutral EV spot, and I suspect it's highly -EV. After all, when you win, you'll probably win a fairly small pot; and when you lose, you lose a big pot. You're not going to be able to outplay too many people at small stakes, so just make it easy on yourself and fold A-Q to the raise.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without a read, just fold A-Q preflop to a raise. Even if you happen to have the best hand, you have no way of knowing that. Often times your going to get stuck dumping off a lot of bets with the second best hand (ie, flop is Q-8-3 against KK; A-10-3 against AK; etc.). And when you do make the best hand, you're normally not going to get paid off anyway. The reality is that you're only going to hit an A or Q 1/3 of the time on the flop (and plenty of times you hit your Q and still don't have top pair b/c a K hits, thus the power of A-K, always TPTK if you hit). So 2/3 the time, you have an unimproved A-Q. Even if you have the best hand and the original raiser has K-Jo, what are you going to do when he keeps firing away? Keep calling and praying you're good? So 2/3 the time you're going to miss and probably end up having to let go of it, and 1/3 of the time you're going to hit and be left guessing if you're good or not. Make things easy on yourself and fold to the preflop raise, assuming no reads. This is at best a neutral EV spot, and I suspect it's highly -EV. After all, when you win, you'll probably win a fairly small pot; and when you lose, you lose a big pot. You're not going to be able to outplay too many people at small stakes, so just make it easy on yourself and fold A-Q to the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this sarcastic? i hope it is...

rj
Old 10-10-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Without a read, just fold A-Q preflop to a raise. Even if you happen to have the best hand, you have no way of knowing that. Often times your going to get stuck dumping off a lot of bets with the second best hand (ie, flop is Q-8-3 against KK; A-10-3 against AK; etc.). And when you do make the best hand, you're normally not going to get paid off anyway. The reality is that you're only going to hit an A or Q 1/3 of the time on the flop (and plenty of times you hit your Q and still don't have top pair b/c a K hits, thus the power of A-K, always TPTK if you hit). So 2/3 the time, you have an unimproved A-Q. Even if you have the best hand and the original raiser has K-Jo, what are you going to do when he keeps firing away? Keep calling and praying you're good? So 2/3 the time you're going to miss and probably end up having to let go of it, and 1/3 of the time you're going to hit and be left guessing if you're good or not. Make things easy on yourself and fold to the preflop raise, assuming no reads. This is at best a neutral EV spot, and I suspect it's highly -EV. After all, when you win, you'll probably win a fairly small pot; and when you lose, you lose a big pot. I cannot outplay too many people at small stakes, so I fold A-Q to the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this sarcastic? i hope it is...

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what he meant
Old 10-10-2005, 06:20 PM

Choosing to raise or fold here is so close against a random MP1 with no reads that it's not going to matter much either way. Doing a better job of getting statistical/real reads would help you more than asking questions like this. But not to be a total [censored] and answer the question, I figure it's about 55% equity against some guys and 45% against others, but the good news is that I get to check behind one or more of the streets if I don't like what I see and he doesn't, plus there's less worry that others are coming along here so that extra 2.50 from the blinds goes in the pot, another thing that leans toward a play. I figure that's good enough to 3-bet, let's see a flop.
Against an UTG guy, it's 50% against some and 35% against others. Now we have a fold.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:26 PM

I raise here all the time unless I have a read or stats that say otherwise. It's a fold against a tight player, but the average player isn't tight. If this is a fold in your avg game then your game selection needs work.