Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 05:36 PM

Default UTG 99: Played like a tard on every street?

UTG+1 is 41-6.2-1.25 over 80 hands. Pre-flop raiser has voluntarily played 1 hand out of 18 total.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (12.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 16.75 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>
Old 09-28-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: UTG 99: Played like a tard on every street?

Raise preflop, 3 bet the flop. Why did you go for the turn checkraise? If it went how it should you would've faced UTG+1 with calling 2 cold.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:47 PM

Preflop: I raise although I have been rethinking the raise with 99, either way its questionable and doesnt really matter.
FLOP: I bet and reraise at any given situation due to UTG+ 1's looseness plus the straight possible board
Turn: Lead out again
River: Lead bet and call down
Old 09-29-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop, 3 bet the flop. Why did you go for the turn checkraise? If it went how it should you would've faced UTG+1 with calling 2 cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. After recent conversations with a friend I've been making an effert to aggro up my preflop play, particularly by open raising 99, TT, KQo, and KJs. The problem in this particular hand was that I had open raised the last 3 hands in a row. I had this idea that my street cred might suffer with a 4th raise straight, and I didn't particularly want to get played back at (3 bet out of position) with 9s. It's a stupid excuse for not raising, but there it is.

The flop is a pretty clear 3 bet in retrospect. The monkey in the middle clearly has some sort of hand he likes, and I need to charge him the maximum if he's holding something like JT, and force him to correctly fold or incorrectly call with a gutshot like QJ. I really have no excuse for not 3 betting here.

Once I muffed the flop and the 7 hits the turn, I REALLY wanted to charge that caller, since a straight draw is extremely likely. So I went for the turn c/r, since I was pretty sure the pfr really had that ace and would follow through. Of course, it turned into a c/r of the middle guy. It sucked when he bet out, because I thought his most likely holdings were now a straight or two pair with 87s or 97s. This made my checkraise now for value and information. He didn't cap, so I didn't put him on a straight. This may be the only street I actually like.

On the river, I hated to see the Jack, since any ten makes a straight. But I'm not checking, since I really don't believe either player has a ten. But I can't 3 bet the river can I? Maybe I liked this street too.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:51 AM

He didn't reraise the turn, but raised the river? What hands did the Jack on the river help that he would have here . . . A10?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He didn't reraise the turn, but raised the river? What hands did the Jack on the river help that he would have here . . . A10?

[/ QUOTE ]

When he raised the river that's what I thought he had. But it turned out he was even more tardy than myself. He showed 88, and MHIG.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:57 PM

I usually open with this preflop rather than limp, but I believe 99 is a debatable hand UTG as whether to raise of limp.

The flop bet is ok on a board like this. If it were completely drawless, we might want to go for the check raise to bloat the pot a little more.

I'd bet out hoping he'd raise like he did, since we'd like to attempt to get JT and QJ hands to fold. If we're taking this line, 3-betting the flop is best - no sense in slowing down.

UTG+1 coming to life when the 7 hits the turn is a bad sign. I'd expect to see him show down JT, so I'd just go into call down mode.

The river I think was botched. If you're going to bet, I think you have to fold to a raise. So I think check / call might be better.

Flopping a set and losing blows goats, but it does happen [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I just hope it didn't happen here somehow ...
Old 09-29-2005, 01:04 PM

18 hands is nada.

Raise pre-flop. 3 bet the flop. Lead the turn.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:10 PM

raise preflop.

3-bet the flop.