Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Do I cap this suited ace preflop?

do not cap this preflop. you just don't have equity against a 3-bettor.

the turn bet isn't horrible, but I think a check is better.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:53 AM

Preflop is a bit weird, but not horrible.

I just call the flop, and raise the turn if I hit. Since you raised the flop, why didn't you take the free card?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always raise suited aces on the button, actually anything on the button if you're coming in you should be raising. I think I'd check the turn and take the free river, but betting is not a bad option either.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is a great idea. I don't like to raise hands like A7s and below when are very likely to be dominated. I don't mind a raise of A8s, and A7s is probably not a huge error. But hands like A5s and A2s are great for a limp.

What don't you like about limping on the button? You raise 55? Q9s? 76s? Keep in mind the difference between limping in LP and open limping in LP.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always raise suited aces on the button, actually anything on the button if you're coming in you should be raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if you're coming in, but there are already three limpers. Is this a good raise??

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not all that bad. It's likely to be slightly +ev if you play it right postflop. But the advice about never calling on the button is just plain wrong.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:42 AM

I check the turn, but I play the rest the same. I don't always raise this preflop but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Rob
Old 11-28-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to always limp with suited aces (A9 and below) but I am trying to get more aggressive. My like my first raise, but should I have capped? I think I should have. I so, please explain. Thanks.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, CO folds.

River: (13.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the preflop raise. I take the free turn card. I would suspect that you have little chance of winning by betting on the turn. Unless you had good reads? Another reason to check might be to induce a bluff from an aggressive opponent when the 3 heart appears. I might bet the turn against a totally weak-tight player that folds his AKtype hands on the turn too easily. I could make the best hand fold, but I also have lots of outs to beat AK.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:08 AM

The pf raise/call is fine, but why are you betting the turn? You need all your pair outs to be live in addition to your flush outs if it's going to be +EV. Your hand has limited showdown strength UI so a free showdown is not worth the price. You will not take down this pot often enough for it to be a consideration.

Take your free card. It's tremendously valuable in this big pot. You do not want to spend a single penny more than you have to to see the river.

You have a talent for catching good river cards. I'd suggest keeping it up.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you got some reads on UTG+1 I wouldn't think of capping. A8s is a nice hand but it doesn't look near as good to me after a limp reraise. The rest looks pretty standard. I might even take the free card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I am thinking of raising or not depending on UTG+1. With 4 people already in I probably don't raise this - particularly if UTG+1 is tight. If UTG+1 is very loose I may. A9s I probably do. A7s is in the A-crap range for me and I definitely don't against this many players. Definitely limp in any Axs with this many limpers, though. A8s is six of this half a dozen of that - I think it is a wash or slightly +EV if you have observant opponents and they have to open their starting ranges for you (unlikely at this level).

Definitely not a cap - a LRR is generally a hand defining moment and you can feel reasonably confident that villain will turn over KK or AA at the end.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:26 PM

The initial pre-flop raise here is bad, IMO. You've already got 4 callers in front of you, so your pre-flop equity is extremely marginal, esp. with people potentially limping in with bigger aces. ATs or better I'm raising (and capping, in this instance), but I just don't think we're strong enough here to do that. Pound the flop, but this is a clear-cut free card situation ont he turn. You have no chance to win this on the turn against all of those callers.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:32 PM

Your raise isnt bad.

[ QUOTE ]
You've already got 4 callers in front of you, so your pre-flop equity is extremely marginal

[/ QUOTE ]

A marginal edge is still an edge. Limping doesnt somehow negate hte fact that your ace is dominated. Taking control of the hand can only help in these situations, since people are more inclined to check, giving you free showdowns.

Don't cap PF. At that point, you can be quite sure that you dont have an equity edge.

Take the free card on the turn.

You dont have an edge, even if all 3 people call - and your hand stands almost no chance of taking it down unimproved. You also have nearly zero fold equity against 3 low limit players. There is also a chance that you can get checkraised.

On the plus side, you may have cleaned up your Ace outs against UTG+1. I dont think that's reason enough to bet the turn though.