Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: New thread or no?
Too many threads, compact them 11 31.43%
Keep making new threads so stuff doesn't get lost 24 68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: POLL - Iraq across the table (Warning: poker content)

This poll should have been titled: Do you support the war? People picking the 23% obviously lean left, and vice versa.

Waste of time.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:18 PM

Yeah. A more interesting question is, "how do you break down the war?" Don't go for big picture stuff, go details. Go EV. Go analyst mentality.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright Sunshine, we can't change why and how we got there. I think were there to protect the world's interest and at the same time get rid of a villian who would harm us at any opportunity. You think were there cause Bush is a liar. What do you suggest we do now? Fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never suggested we fold. We've made a mess and we're stuck there. And we will be paying for it for years to come (in more ways then one.)

The point is the people who think it was about the Iraqi people despite Bush saying out right, (paraphrasing) "make no mistake about it, this is about WOMD"... they're the ones you want to play poker against.

Though let's face it, they're likely to argue that their 2 pair beats your flush.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:45 PM

Oh, why didn't you say so in first place.
Every one knows that only 3 of kind beats a flush...not 2 pair.
I feel bad for messing up this guys poll, maybe we should delete.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Off subject : Turkey versus EU

("Versus" also means "alternative"...)

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose you are a big supporter of Turkey joining the EU.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not too enthusiastic about it since it will not be good for Turkey or Europe. Turkey should be forced to get its act together. Turkey, as the saying goes, is not a country with an army but an army with a country. This needs to change and fast.

Europe will lose by allowing in as a full member a country that bears no political, cultural or geographical affinity to the rest of the continent. (If Turkey goes in, then other such countries, such as Israel or Morocco, would have every right to demand entry as well. "The Jews are back in Europe!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) What would be best for all concerned would be the creation of an EU-like organisation of Middle East countries, with Turkey leading the way.

The United States is keen on Turkey joining the EU for two reasons: (a) Weakening the EU's coherence, (b) adding a front-line US ally to the mix. Zbignew Brzezinsky was not being flippant in The Pivotal States.

[ QUOTE ]
You think it will happen?

[/ QUOTE ]
All bets are off after the French and Dutch referendums which killed the concept of a clumsily, ever expanding European Union. I'd speculate that the EU will benefit from this hurdle, though. There might evolve a better, more practical and efficient vision of a United States of Europe than the amalgam of all-things-to-all-people we now see.

Henry Kissinger once famously scoffed at the idea of a European Union, asking rhetorically "When I want to speak to the Foreign Minister of the EU, who do I call?"
Brussels might have a phone number for Henry before the decade is over.