Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Pokerroom $5 rebuy AA hand

I can understand how you feel it may be better to extract more from a weaker pair, nonetheless, I still feel you need to charge your opponent to see another card when you have a strong but very vunerable hand. Hero would be kicking him self if the free card gave villain a fullhouse or straight.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand how you feel it may be better to extract more from a weaker pair, nonetheless, I still feel you need to charge your opponent to see another card when you have a strong but very vunerable hand. Hero would be kicking him self if the free card gave villain a fullhouse or straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a very vulnerable hand.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:06 PM

How can you say that giving the texture of the board after the turn?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you say that giving the texture of the board after the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're talking about the flop.

I will say:

Betting 2.5-3K on the turn is probably marginally better than 2K with the draws the turn brought. Both better than checking.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:13 PM

Well then the main prob with the hand is when he checked the turn as well and flat called the bet.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well then the main prob with the hand is when he checked the turn as well and flat called the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and I don't like a checkraise either. Leading the turn is the best option by a lot. 2500-3000 probably best in terms of extracting value, although stack size/pot size makes it awkward.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking the flop is fine. It encourages action from hands you have beat, none of which have many outs against you. A jack, QQ,TT-88. I would bet the turn, especially with the club hitting, but either way - checking the flop is enough weakness, you're definitely getting called by a pair. Having checked the turn, bet 2K on the river to get value from hands that will check behind, having to call a raise but hating it. The same medium strength hands that are willing to bet the turn will usually check behind on the river.

Betting the turn makes it easier to fold to a push, although I'm not sure I would, depending on the opponent. Point being, value betting the river is now really awkward since you have no choice but to pay off a king. Ideally, you'd like to structure the betting to avoid going broke when he has a K. Tough to do this shallow though, so focus on getting value from weaker hands.

Edited to add: With 6K in the pot and 5K behind on the river, I think pushing the river is best *if* he has you covered by enough that he can comfortably call off 5K on the pot odds with a hand like AJ or QQ or even TT-99. Especially if he's the type to call (although you said no read). If 5K would break him, you need to bet less because there are hands he won't be willing to go broke with, even for a 16K pot. Since you're going broke when has a K, you need to get as much as possible when he doesn't. The full 5K if you can, or, more likely 2K-3K. 2K-3K will sort of function as a blocking bet also, because it will be hard for him to raise without a K, and you take away his ability to push you off the best hand because you're obviously committed to calling. Of course, you still have to call the raise because AJ or QQ can make a value raise just often enough that you're stuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late to edit, but in the last paragraph I clearly have the piot size wrong. The fact that it's 9-10K probably makes a push a little better on the river than the 6K I said, because a worse hand is more likely to call. The blocking bet, calling a raise option can work too, but if he has a lot of chips, there's no hand that calls 2K but folds to 5K.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 PM

Could you explain to me what the blocking bet is.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you explain to me what the blocking bet is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, a blocking bet is an underbet on the river with a medium strength hand that you would feel compelled to call a larger bet with if you checked. It is intended to freeze your opponent when he holds a marginally better hand and also to function as a value bet when he has a marginally worse hand. It works best if the board texture is such that it is hard for your opponent to bluff raise you or to raise with a lot of hands that beat you.

Example: pot is 1000, you have a top pair top kicker and a flush comes on the river. You bet 300 because:

if you check, a hand that is worse than a flush but that beats you (say two pair) would bet more.

Your bet tends to prevent him from raising, because you could have the flush and be inducing a raise, and because you're unlikely to pay him off when he's ahead.

In this hand, the blocking bet is a 2K-3K bet on the river that should freeze him from raising with less than a K; the problem is that you are pot committed anyway because your stack is too small relative to the pot. But it does still function as a value bet and reduces the possibility of him putting you allin on a bluff.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:40 PM

OK,

Thanks TV.