Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 01:45 AM

Default AKs vs. QQ...should I call?

I don't have any back info on villian. This was the first time I have any listing of playing with him in my Poker Tracker.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed)

Seat 1: UTG+1($15.50)
Seat 2: MP1($17.30)
Seat 3: Hero ($14.15)
Seat 4: MP3($38.90)
Seat 5: MP4($13.15)
Seat 6: Button ($5.40)
Seat 7: SB($14.50)
Seat 8: BB($8.85)
Seat 9: UTG($10)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+3 with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $0.75, 1 fold, Hero reraises to $3, 6 folds, UTG+1 calls $2.25.

Flop: ($6.35) J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $4, UTG+1 raises $12.15 and is all in. Hero calls $7.15 and is all in.

UTG+1 shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero shows A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Turn: ($27.25) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
River: ($27.25) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Was this a bad call? I thought I was pot committed enough to justify calling $7 to win a $27 pot as long as I had two overcards with the backdoor heart draw.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: AKs vs. QQ...should I call?

Well him having QQ is irrelevant. He could have had AA-KK, or a set and you'd be drawing almost dead. If he had turned over QQ after check/raising, then it's a call since you are only about a 3.2:1 underdog. I'd fold to the flop check/raise without more info.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:06 AM

I was fairly certain he didn't have AA or KK because there was no re-raise of my raise preflop. I figured I was up against top pair or QQ. I was only really screwed if I was up against a set or AJ, so that is why I called. I guess I'm just asking if this reasoning makes sense and warrants a call?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:12 AM

Given the action so far, it seems that JJ, AJ, or QQ+ seem very likely. A lot of players don't like to put in a 3rd raise with AA-KK preflop, so you can't rule that out completely. In this spot, I think you are behind fairly often. I probably need about 4:1 to call here.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:35 AM

On a side note, can you give us his dialog after all was said and done? I imagine a lot of cussin'.