Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 10:28 PM

Default A NL600 hand...

It's been awhile since I posted a hand. I've been playing more poker in the last couple of weeks, but I guess the more I play, the more I can handle what were formally difficult decisions.

Anyhow, limited data on the the villian but he seems loose:

40.37 VP$IP, 12.84 PF Raise% over 109 hands.

I don't know too much about his play.

I have the usual tight image going for me.

Comments?

Garland

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Garland (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($605.25)
UTG+2 ($572)
MP1 ($777.75)
MP2 ($736.30)
MP3 ($640.60)
CO ($459.45)
Button ($614)
SB ($382.39)
Garland ($648.95)
UTG ($701.70)

Preflop: Garland is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $6, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls $6, CO calls $6, Button calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Garland checks.

Flop: ($33) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Garland bets $23</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls $23, CO folds, Button calls $23.

Turn: ($102) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Garland checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $45</font>, Garland calls $45, MP3 folds.

River: ($192) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks...
Old 09-30-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: A NL600 hand...

Meh, I like a lead on the river. Villan bet really weak on the turn, and was just testing if you had an A or better. He checks behind most aces here, although he might pay pff a CR if he has two pair. However, if you bet pot on river, aces up definitly call and a set or lower pair probably raise, so I think leading river for pot is a better line.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 PM

I think I play three out of four streets differently here. I'd make it about 45 preflop to try and take it down. Leading the flop is cool. When I pick up the extra flush outs on the turn, I like to keep jamming and bet again. On the river, if I bet the flop and turn, I'm going to fire again.

I think even given the preflop check, leading all three streets is better. Your equity on the turn has to be good enough to warrant putting a lot more in than a check/call half-pot bet, and betting the turn lets you bet the river flush without looking weird.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:26 AM

I think the way you played it preflop you should raise the turn instead of calling. I think you should be raising out of the BB with your AQs after 4 callers most of the time.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:34 AM

I play full handed maybe all the streets the same way... I like OP's line. Edge, dunno why you are so against it

Raising out of bb w/ AQs, yeah, sure, sometimes. Ok, fine. That is slightly debateable but no the crux of the hand. Lead out w/ TP into field, flop is good. Better then checking with the intention of folding (wtf so weak!) or raising (building big pot oop with top pair) and calling (although sometimes I would toy with a check call on this type of board...).

Anyway, I like turn, no need to blow yourself off your hand, no need to blow them off hands w/ 2 outs like smaller aces not tainting your diamond... it's a reverse pot control -&gt; see the river w/ a live draw. In fact betting is not standard for me... If it goes c/c I'll bet what I think a weak tightie type would call w/ top pair worse kicker, if he bets I'll either block a non diamond or Q or A and on those cards I'm not sure, maybe still block etc. but hitting the nuts this seems like such a nice spot to riv c/r...

It's unlikely he has a bluff, but if he does, you give him the chance to fire another shell. (like a call to bluff betting the turn, putting you on a weak ace that cant call a river bet) If he has a set he'll pay off a c/r all in anyway (he may raise a bet with one so money probably gets all in) He'll value bet 2pair or call a bet, so it's pretty borderline.

If someone has a strong top pair you dont think they value bet? I would put the BB on a top pair that he's trying to showdown (lead flop, CHECK CALL, CHECK ? riv...) and milk it for what it's worth.

Actually, given all this maybe just leading the river and allowing a set to raise is best, but the riv check is crafty. Other streets played well.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:54 AM

Standard, no?

Kirk
Old 10-01-2005, 08:22 AM

Only street that I am unsure of is the river. I do think he checks behind here a lot. His turn bet seemed really weak.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:26 AM

With AQs in the BB, I don't mind the call pre flop and smallish river bet.

The way you played it I would raise the turn back for another $45. The only reasonable hand to worry about is AJ.

Whatever villain has, he will call the turn raise, and if by some odd chance you are behind, you have plenty of outs.

If the diamond hits, lead out with a "blocking" bet of $150 ($280 in pot at that point). If a diamond doesn't hit, you can check and call a reasonable bet.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:36 AM

The hand was played out fine, but you missed the opportunity I think to extract optimal value here. I would always fire out a weak bet here. Even quarter to a third of the pot and let the guy hang himself if he wants to bluff or if he made a flush too.

His hand I see as a weaker ace that wants a show down.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:24 AM

Anyone like a check-call on the flop and a turn lead here?