Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 05:51 AM

Default Re: O Doyle\'s Army - WE WANT YOU!

[ QUOTE ]
my hope would be that we will be able to negotiate for 120k hands over a 4 month period

[/ QUOTE ]

For the life of me, I can not understand why you would need to place a time restriction on something like this, other then it must be complete X amount of days before the WSOP etc.. 120k hands worth of rake = 120k hands worth or rake whether played over 10 nights or 10 months.

Suppose a poker room was willing to send any players to the WSOP that would play 120k hands. In my opinion, it would be best for that poker room to offer this challenge as soon as possible for at least 2 strong reasons. 1) Without a sickening time limit, many dozens more players will initially attempt this challenge and then not follow through. Thats a lot of extra traffic = extra buzz = extra incentive for even more people to move to that room = extra profit . 2) Offering this deal before any other room does would "lock in" a large player base that already has X,000 hands vested and won't move to the competitors room. 3)
Old 07-25-2005, 06:24 AM

Default The \"ARMY\" theme is not a good idea

I doubt the Army idea would be as apealing to many sites as better marketing plans. And not because of any oversensitive, politically correct sissy reasons some have cited.

I feel like this mostly, because "Odoyles Army" becomes the headliner for any PR the group generates. The poker room itself becomes a mere footnote or subtitle in the story.

However, "Team True Poker", or "Gaming Club Live". A large group of the "common man" (attired in poker room logo wear) all playing in the biggest tournement in the world for FREE simply because thier weekly poker night is online at True Poker is a marketing strategy which can't be beat.

Another reason I don't think the army idea is very good is because its too "gimmicky". A gimmick is worth 15 minutes of fame. Is that what you want to accomplish, or do you want to create a professional group of players whose value and business is taken quite seriously? Or be known as a bunch of assclowns in cheap army fatigues?

Lastly, with all due respect, I'm not O'Doyles bitch nor do I want that reputation. A group of high volume players isnt about any single player. I would have no problem joining a professional association of high volume players. I would have no problem if O'Dolye was a leader in that organization. But "O'Doyles Army", well from what I've heard, his head doesn't need to get any bigger [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my hope would be that we will be able to negotiate for 120k hands over a 4 month period

[/ QUOTE ]

For the life of me, I can not understand why you would need to place a time restriction on something like this, other then it must be complete X amount of days before the WSOP etc.. 120k hands worth of rake = 120k hands worth or rake whether played over 10 nights or 10 months.

Suppose a poker room was willing to send any players to the WSOP that would play 120k hands. In my opinion, it would be best for that poker room to offer this challenge as soon as possible for at least 2 strong reasons. 1) Without a sickening time limit, many dozens more players will initially attempt this challenge and then not follow through. Thats a lot of extra traffic = extra buzz = extra incentive for even more people to move to that room = extra profit . 2) Offering this deal before any other room does would "lock in" a large player base that already has X,000 hands vested and won't move to the competitors room. 3)

[/ QUOTE ]

These are all true. I hope that when the negotiating process occurs, it ends up that we have a full year or ten months to play our hands for next years WSOP. I will give it a shot if its 4 months, but am not sure I can get that done.

Some might say, "but 120K hands in a YEAR is nothing, why would the site care?" The reason is that the 120K hands we might all play anyway are now consolidated. Which is why this will be most appealing to smaller sites, or those which are a part of a skin network and want to attract loyal customers.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Second, to the posters throwing hissy fits over the "army" theme:

It is incredibly ignorant to assume that calling a players association (which is essentially what this would be) an army implies support of any particular nation's army or any particular military action. No one would assume you support anything because you arrived at a poker tournamet in camo. You are just using this is an excuse to espouse your political views in a "hot" thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but my objection was that we'd look like dicks.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 AM

I'm in depending on site and conditions. NO ARMY SUIT.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
O'Doyle is trying to come up with ideas that will be MUTUALLY beneficial to the players and the poker site. The whole idea of a deal like this would be to present a marketing opportunity to the site.

TONY

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Ding! A winner! Thank you.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I just threw out the 4 months in that post because I was talking about my original challenge 120K hands in 36 days and the point I was trying to make was this one could be much more saner. Naturally, I would want as long as time period to qualify for the event as well.

I really like the idea of the one poster that suggested the ability to qualify for several events throughout the year. I think that is the best case scenario. Every 120K hands or so, a player could earn another poker event up to whatever the maximum time limit is.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:47 AM

Just a comment on the "uniform" debate, for the WSOP at least.

If you want to stand out from the crowd, just choose a colour like Yellow, or Orange.

Black, White, Blue and Red covered just about every bit of logo wear I saw at the WSOP 2005. I was looking for a friend in black amongst the 1900 and it was impossible to find him, had he been in yellow, that narrowed it down to about 3 people.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Re: The \"ARMY\" theme is not a good idea

[ QUOTE ]

I feel like this mostly, because "Odoyles Army" becomes the headliner for any PR the group generates. The poker room itself becomes a mere footnote or subtitle in the story.

However, "Team True Poker", or "Gaming Club Live". A large group of the "common man" (attired in poker room logo wear) all playing in the biggest tournement in the world for FREE simply because thier weekly poker night is online at True Poker is a marketing strategy which can't be beat.

Another reason I don't think the army idea is very good is because its too "gimmicky". A gimmick is worth 15 minutes of fame. Is that what you want to accomplish, or do you want to create a professional group of players whose value and business is taken quite seriously? Or be known as a bunch of assclowns in cheap army fatigues?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Sintax,

The army uniform was simply an idea to garner attention, which I'm sure it would. Showing up in another online poker shirt in a crowd of several thousand people, chances that it is going to get any attention, almost zero!

There are several objections to the army idea, and it's not set in stone, but I do know for this to be effective it does have to be something that is unique and fun so it will be sure to catch the media's eye. Believe me, showing up in a polo shirt with a poker site name on it is going to catch zero attention from the media. (Not unless you go far in the tourney.)

And yes, this is not only about promoting the poker site, it is about promoting ourselves as a group of high volume players. But it will be a two way street, where both the poker site that aligns with us and our group will both benefit.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: The \"ARMY\" theme is not a good idea

[ QUOTE ]

Lastly, with all due respect, I'm not O'Doyles bitch nor do I want that reputation. A group of high volume players isnt about any single player. I would have no problem joining a professional association of high volume players. I would have no problem if O'Dolye was a leader in that organization. But "O'Doyles Army", well from what I've heard, his head doesn't need to get any bigger [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's OK Sintax, you can be my bitch! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, you raise an issue that probably needs to be addressed.

Who elected me the leader of this group? Nobody.

Was I self appointed? Yes.

Does this have something to do with my ego? I would be deluding myself if I answered no.

Why I am doing this? I'm not sure. So far, from a personal financial standpoint, it has already start to cost me. My time would be better spent playing poker and concentrating on playing better poker. Maybe there is some sort of trade off with me on the ego front. (Just trying to keep it honest.)

I do know this. Any leader of a group better have a vision, ideas to make that vision happen and the drive to get it completed. Hopefully, I have those attributes.

I quoted in another thread and it bears repeating, "If we don't hang together, surely we will hang seperately."

A poker site very well could be reading this post right now and be saying, Damn, this O Doyle character has come up with a good marketing idea and run with it. If the majority of us jump on the deal they offer, as we we are free to do so, it could well signal the end of this effort. If we have no group of high volume players, we lose our bargaining power.

On the other hand, if we wait on the site that does want to deal with our group, I would suggest that it will pay much bigger dividends for both the poker site and us.