Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 04:41 PM

Default What to do with pocket 22?

Ok, I got 22 in the small blind, and this is what happened. Did I misplay this, or is this about standard for playing this hand? I would've mucked it to any bet on the flop or river- too weak? Do you bet out with 22 with all the overcards out there?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

River: (2.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 10-05-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: What to do with pocket 22?

i play the same. he either has two pair with the case 2 (32 or 62) or more likely he has the 4. he might also be bluffing, figuring you are as well.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i play the same. he either has two pair with the case 2 (32 or 62) or more likely he has the 4. he might also be bluffing, figuring you are as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Although what could MP2 be calling with 54s? Seems like a pretty weak hand.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although what could MP2 be calling with 54s? Seems like a pretty weak hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean calling preflop? I've seen a lot worse. At least 54s is connected and suited.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I got 22 in the small blind, and this is what happened. Did I misplay this, or is this about standard for playing this hand? I would've mucked it to any bet on the flop or river- too weak? Do you bet out with 22 with all the overcards out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine says that 22 is the easiest hand to play post-flop--if you hit your set, you bet/raise. If you miss, then you check-fold. I know that such a general statement is bound to have holes in it, and I usually play it when the flop is paired, but it feels like solid advice.

--ArchonsEngine
Old 10-05-2004, 05:35 PM

Looks good. The guy probably had A4.

Folding to a bet would not be weak before the river.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine says that 22 is the easiest hand to play post-flop--if you hit your set, you bet/raise. If you miss, then you check-fold. I know that such a general statement is bound to have holes in it, and I usually play it when the flop is paired, but it feels like solid advice.
--ArchonsEngine

[/ QUOTE ]

That's generally how I play small pairs. I was tempted to take a stab at a turn bet with this, but thought I'd just ride along for free.

Naturally, my trips were beaten by the notorious J4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:21 PM

seems like good play. He probably would have called if you were beat (mid pair, etc.) on the flop/turn, and would have with J4s if he would call that preflop. good play.