Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Tight Play

Ok. I did it. I played 1,050 hands and managed VPIP of 30%. My BB/100 came out 25% less- I'll play another 5,000 to compare results with my previous play. One thing I noticed was that I became more passive... I'll try to increase my pre-flop raising.

Here are my position stats:

Old 12-09-2005, 07:10 AM

I know its annoying and hard to believe, but these stats are kind of worthless interms of winrate etc .

You'd really have to test 10k at each vpip, and even then its vague result. Just 10x better than 1k [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 07:21 AM

this is an amusing little thread.

Also - you should know that the Party won $ at showdown stat is completely messed up and has been incorrect for about 2 years now.
Do not pay attention to this stat at all.
Seriously, it's just plain broken and they haven't bothered to fix it.

I think it only counts it as a won showdown if another player's cards are actually shown...whereas it is obviously possible to win AT showdown...but the players you beat muck their cards and don't show them to the table (I'm not sure if this is the idiotic stat that it is caluclating...just a guess...but I do know that it's wrong wrong wrong).

And yes....the see-flop stat on party does include the BB...whereas the VP stat on p-tracker does not.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:40 AM

Ah... good to know.

Regarding my 1,000 hands- I have to confess I strayed a couple of times (I can recall maybe 5 instances) and played low suited connectors with one or two gaps a few times. It worked out though- in one case I got 4-of-a-kind and in another I got a straight-flush. I had 4-of-a-kind twice along with the str8 flush this session. The odds against that must be astronomical!

Towards the end I was also getting a little stupid (calling too much, raising in the wrong situations, etc.).
Old 12-09-2005, 07:58 AM

tight play for short handed is overated. However if your vpip is mainly for 6 max tables with 5 or 6 people sitting there you have to be really good postflop for that to be optaimal.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:11 AM

In most of these SS games you could probably win playing at 15% or so. Since the rake is brutally high, you wouldn't be losing that much at that % either. Still 22-25 is much better, at 15% you just miss out on too many obvious profitable hands. At higher limits you don't get as much action on big hands, people will steal your blinds if you don't defend, and the rake is lower, so slightly looser play than that should come as a result.
Your numbers are crazy. There is no way you can ever win long-term playing that many hands. I see that you never ever fold your BB except with two low offsuits non connected and almost always complete the SB as well, and you probably play something like any ace and any two 9 or above any position and most suiteds as well from the looks of things.
People who think that you need 250k hands to have an idea of winrate are taking things way too far, but seriously, you know nothing over 10k hands. In these low stake games I (and many other players I'm sure) have had runs as high as 9bb/100 over 10k hands and trust me, I'm not a 9bb/100 player or even a 4bb/100 player. It only takes 10 or so big river cards to swing the numbers a long way in either direction over 10k hands.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 AM

Is this is a joke thread?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyhow, i think "Optimum stats" is a stupid thing to aim for and maybe even discuss. 30/15 may make a 5BB/100 for 100 000 hands for guy A, But a -10BB/100 loser for guy B.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with this, I am playing 50/1 also at the moment, at 6 max only a sort of rebuild after unfortunate spell at 1/2 and a lack of confidence. I may be running good, like I said I'm at 24% vpip 15.8% pfr, my went to SD is 36.5% and my win$ at SD is around 53.5%, aggression is 2.7 AF. I haven't really aimed for these I'm just using a chart as a framework to build an idea on really and playing post flop in the way I prefer to against weak non-tricky opponents. Like you I probably will move up to 1/2 again at 10k hands, or maybe 20k, as I have over 4000 bets at this level in my current bankroll, and this is more of a learning experience than anything else.

Regards Mack
Old 12-09-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried before but just found it frustrating to wait for good starting hands only to have them go down in flames. Maybe multi-tabling would be the solution to address having to wait so long.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you've hit on the problem here and should work on your emotional control.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. I did it. I played 1,050 hands and managed VPIP of 30%. My BB/100 came out 25% less- I'll play another 5,000 to compare results with my previous play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you still don't get it...