Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: 20-40 AJs monster draw.

i raise preflop. then lead out on the flop. however in answer to your question of "what you do from here", since you check raised you must lead out on the turn, if called i only bet the river if an A or spade hit.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:52 PM

Given that you didnt raise PF and there was no other PFR, I'd lead the flop and 3-bet a raise. Then I lead the turn no matter what card comes (assuming nobody capped on the flop). River is the only time I've got a tough decision (assuming I didn't hit). I'd take the same line with a set so why not add some value AND deception to your game by playing this way with monster draws.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think raising 4 limpers in the SB with AJs is "way" better than calling

[/ QUOTE ]

you're wrong.

raise and bet the flop with the intention of three-betting or capping.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:08 PM

I agree with you thinkin g about it a little differently. The odds of winning by hitting your hand are about 1.1 to 1 against you but you are getting 2 to 1 for every bet you get in (on the flop). It is plus EV to keep raising on the flop till the cows come home as long as you continue to get two callers. This is without even considering the chances of hitting an Ace and having it be good or the chance of getting a pair to fold even if you don't improve.

I would probably bet out on the turn but depending on how well I knew these players would consider check-raising again if I missed the turn (and if they don't bet you get a free card).

Elysium - you're as far off on this one as I've seen you.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 PM

Sorry to be worried about boring preflop stuff, but I think this is a good preflop raise in an online game, and a very good preflop raise in a live game.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:56 PM

actually, elysium is wrong and right in my opinion.

but first. i love the preflop raise...4 limpers, gotta get the money in there, you'll win a good deal of the time and you can check fold a bunch of flops ( make that IF YOU CAN check fold a lot of the flops). i think my favorite hand i ever posted here was after 7 limpers and a sb i raised QdJd from the bb in party 15/30. very good raise.

now, i like a checkraise here. BUT i also like checking the turn a good deal of the time unimproved (i.e. almost every time) because you dont want to have to call a raise when you have many outs.

you get good odds on your money and you dont need to keep the initiative. if you are being set up for a raise on the turn the counterstrategy is simple...check.

-Barron

PS- elysium is correct that you dont want to give info away for free and get into trouble by betting the turn and river unimproved...its tricky to play correctly always in these situations. and in fact, i sometimes smooth call here depending on my opponents...but mostly i think a c-r is good here.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

dude, I don't think raising 4 limpers in the SB with AJs is "way" better than calling. In fact, I see them as kind of the same. My position blows and while my hand is quite good, it's not a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even though your position blows postflop, you have good position preflop in that you act after all the limpers and get to see what they do. The fact that no one raised makes it very likely that you aren't dominated, as long as these aren't players who routinely limp with AK, AQ and big pairs. UTG, AJs might be merely "quite good" because even though it is a strong hand, it can easily be dominated. Once you know that no one (except maybe BB) is interested in raising, it improves to much closer to being a monster.

[ QUOTE ]
when he gets excited he says, "Leh! Leh! Leh!" which is (according to him) the sound (in Arabic) camels make when they hump.

[/ QUOTE ]
Camels speak Arabic?
Old 01-20-2005, 08:09 PM

Pre-flop -- check-raise.

Flop -- check/call as you did.

Turn -- Bet any Ace that hits, check-call anything else UNLESS you hit the flush and then check-raise.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-20-2005, 08:57 PM

So you intend to limp reraise from the SB? (Preflop checkraise)
Old 01-20-2005, 08:59 PM

Good catch, bad typo -- I meant to simply write "raise."

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com