Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 11:13 PM

Default *desdia shakes his head*

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Greg Raymer won the 5 million dollar event - would you buy a book from him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yeah.

Can't believe I would ever read such a dumb question on a 2+2 forum. Perhaps you should post on the tourney forum and improve on the rubbish advice Raymer has been giving these past 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares how long a guy has been posting here? that does'nt mean you go plop down $30 beans on a book of tournament essays. WTF! let's be real here. Greg is no David Pham, Daniel Negreanu, John Juanda, Barry Greenstein, "Miami" John Cernuto, Men Nguyen, or even Paul Phillips. i mean, DAG! at least have a player who perenially does well year after year in tournament play and final tables writing this type of book. the guy won ONE big tournament and his previous tournament resume does'nt even stack up to all the cojones-blowing that folks are giving him on this site. C'MON already!

* [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]that's not saying Greg is'nt a GOOD player (for all the folks who think i think the guy can't play)*
Old 10-31-2004, 11:31 PM

Default Re: why do u never hear about some book authors winning anything?

Hi B.S.,

For that matter, what qualifies you to pass judgment on any other poker player?

Cris
Old 10-31-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Re: *desdia shakes his head*

The plays Raymer made were all +EV at the TOC when you consider the pot odds (and the only payout at the top). Getting reraised is just a bitchy thing when your style is chopping away.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:13 AM

Default Re: *desdia shrugs his shoulders and screws his face*

[ QUOTE ]
The plays Raymer made were all +EV at the TOC when you consider the pot odds (and the only payout at the top). Getting reraised is just a bitchy thing when your style is chopping away.

[/ QUOTE ]

and? are you answering me or somebody else?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Chris B, maybe it\'s because any other poker players....

[ QUOTE ]
Hi B.S.,

For that matter, what qualifies you to pass judgment on any other poker player?

Cris

[/ QUOTE ]

ain't no more special than the next player. we all eat, sh#t, breathe, sleep, and fornicate like all mammals. the beauty of being able to pass judgement is that no man or woman is above another and that we have the capacity, (being of the highest intelligence), to do just that.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:44 AM

Default Re: There\'s no advertising like free advertising

The answer is none. I'll let others elaborate as to the reason why.

MM
Old 11-01-2004, 02:06 AM

Default Re: *desdia shakes his head*

[ QUOTE ]
who cares how long a guy has been posting here? that does'nt mean you go plop down $30 beans on a book of tournament essays.....the guy won ONE big tournament and his previous tournament resume does'nt even stack up to all the cojones-blowing that folks are giving him on this site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would buy Fossilmans book even if he hadn't won the wsop. Same goes for anyone that demonstrates a very good knowledge of the game over a long period of posts on here or rgp. Especially as that means they will have shown a willingness to sincerely share info, in contrast to most pros who write books and hold back their best. i.e. Hellmuth and Cloutier.

I wouldn't be that interested in a book written by Miami John or Men Nguyen, or any number of players that have had tournament success.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:55 AM

Default Re: There\'s no advertising like free advertising

Please someone elaborate on this. I can't see why. I think if he got on tv the show would trump up the fact that he was a respected author to the point of making me sick, thus selling lots of books. What am I missing?

silly
Old 11-01-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Here\'s an honest answer for an honest question

For the record it applies in dance, mostly ballet. Most ppl who do it for years don't have the figure/height/weight/feet to work in a professional company so they teach it. That's why they are always mean old ladies.
But that's the extent to which I've seen it applied.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:01 PM

Default Re: why do u never hear about some book authors winning anything?

your dissapointed in greg's play cause he didn't get played off his hand like phil did. what sense does that make. who wants to play like phil anyway. greg would be better choice to emulate. although i think one of his calls against any was bad. hellmuth is overated period.