Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 03:58 PM

Default 2-4NL, will i ever establish myself at this limit??

ive played 1-2NL short handed for 13 months seriously with a lot of success. spent most of the winnings. due to a couple of decent tourney wins and winnings exceeding spending (just), my bankroll is about $4000-$4500.

just that last thursday i finally embarked on 2-4NL short handed, thinking if i drop below $4000 ill go back to the 1-2NL so i have 20 buy ins. I start off up $900. alls looking great. then after a few 2 hour sessions thats all gone due to constant dripping away of chips, and then today i try again and drop about $400-$450, again due to constant dripping (on one table; hands played 33, hands won 0).

i know this is normal, and that i can (and have) had downswings of up to 9 buyins, just that this is really getting annoying, when you sit there and just get dealt constant bad cards and never hit.

sorry for this bad post, just wanted to let off some stem.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: 2-4NL, will i ever establish myself at this limit??

So basically, you've played 1000 hands and now you're wondering why you're not making money? Starting off a couple buyins down is something I do almost everyday, that's why I try not to play with 10buyin BR
Old 12-26-2005, 06:15 PM

i know i shouldnt be thinking 'oh god this is bad', becuase its not at all. im just down 1 or 2 buy ins. its the fact i need to get the 'break' to get me established in 2-4nl, that good run of cards which you dont lose in the next day.
i have 20 buyins.
20 buyins at $200 and then whatever on top is my number of $400 buy ins. thats the way im playing at the moment, and so hopefully it gets to a point where im at 3 or 4 buy ins on top of the 20 buy ins at 200 and then never look back, but at the moment i know im good enough for 2-4nl, i just need that run of cards to keep me there.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:37 PM

Dont play nl400 unless you have 30 (or absolutely min. 20) buy-ins because I think you will think to much about the money worth if you do...
Old 12-26-2005, 06:40 PM

So... you started off with 10 buy ins, and haven't won in a tiny sample size. What is the question?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:47 PM

i cant see how people can not think of the money, unless you really have a lot.

after all, thats the number 1 reason why we are playing the game. yes it enjoyable, yes i think about it far more than what non-poker players would consider healthy, but would i still play it if i didnt make money, or had to pay to play? no i wouldnt. i still do (with mates for tiny stakes, but thats for the banter with friends, not as a serious card game). so i find it hard to not think about the money aspect. but that wont affect my game, i wont think 'should i call this all in becuase that is the same amount as a buying a lot of my mates a really nice dinner for us all', but after a few down sessions i will think, like i can now 'i had $1300ish more to my name than i did a few days ago', but hey, i then think 'but if i quit after my first few big downswings i would of made about $16/17K, so ive just got to accept it.

its just i find it irrating reading about players making a lot more, and i feel i do have the ability to play much higher, just i cant, due to my bankroll restrictions.

and yes, in an ideal world id like to play with 30 buy ins, but im happy with 20 buyins, and if i get more than that, use the excess as 'take a shot money' at the next level and hope to establish myself there.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:47 PM

john,
[censored] happens.
regards,
crosse
Old 12-26-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
after all, thats the number 1 reason why we are playing the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree with this statement.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:38 PM

lol, so you had a 2 buy in swing up.. then a 2 buyin swing down. Then a 1 buyin swing down.. and you're thinking the world is ending?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i cant see how people can not think of the money, unless you really have a lot.

after all, thats the number 1 reason why we are playing the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly agree with this statement.