Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 09:41 AM

Default 10/20, 8-8 against loose aggressive 3 bettor

live action 10/20, villian is loose, aggresive, and loose.

Folded to me in MP, i raise with 8-8. Villain 3 bets it behind me, folds back to me and i call. pot is heads up.

his range for 3 betting is any pair, any 2 connected cards 10-J and higher (suited, offsuit).

the flop is 2-4-J rainbow. I check, He bets and i call.

the problem i have here is that i don't know where he is at, and i feel that there is a very reasonable chance that my hand is good. and i feel if i bet the flop and get raised, im in the same posiiton, except i just put 10 more dollars in the pot, because he would rasie on the flop with anything.

so the turn comes and its a jack for J-2-4-J. I check, he bets and i rasied him. i did this because i wanted him to fold over cards and to think maybe i had trip jacks while still holding out for the possibility that i had the best hand.

He 3 bet it. And i called.

The river was a 2 for J-2-4-J-2, i chekced , he bet, and i called.

I know i should've folded to his 3 bet after i check raised but i made a mistake and called him down . He had J-10

my question is,,, are there any better ways to play this hand? its a real tough spot being out of position against a semi-maniac player, and very hard to find out where your at without losing alot of chips and/or paying him off.

thoughts?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: 10/20, 8-8 against loose aggressive 3 bettor

Sounds like you should have capped it preflop.

Once I see this flop against this player there is just about no way of stopping me from showing this down.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:04 AM

Against that wide range, cap preflop; then bet out on this flop. As in the situation you came though it is best against many players to call the flop, call the turn and then call the river (retaking the initiative postflop in this hand/board puts you in a situation where bets go in only when you are behind, capping preflop disguises your hand better).
Old 12-26-2005, 01:31 PM

Dont post results if you want unbiased responses.

I'd cap it on him if he is that loose and aggressive. Its not even close. Lead the flop, and 3-bet if you get raised. If he caps, you have to decide if you wanna call him down, or if you think you're beat.

People who are loose aggressive many times win in these games because people let them bully and win.

Nick
Old 12-26-2005, 03:10 PM

maybe i'm in the minority here, but i usually take the passive approach when dealing with a LAG and i'm not sure where i'm at. i'd probably just check/call the flop and turn and donk/call the river. they love to bluff, so just let them.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:20 PM

I like check raising the flop here.

But given the line you took, you really have to fold to the turn 3-bet. Even LAGs make hands once in a while.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:42 PM

Capping here PF with a medium PP is really important imo. You want to send a message that you have a big penis too. But you don't want to get out of hand.

Once you cap PF with the reasonable certainty you have the best hand, you can play it from there. Most of the times, you are going to get to showdown. Just don't let the betting get crazy if you can't fold. LAGs make a lot of money by getting otherwise reasonable players to put in extra bets on the expensive streets for no reason.

- Jim