Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Goodbye QQ

Live 5/10 NL game.

I have QQ in the BB. UTG, a tight, reasonable player limps UTG. a few more limpers to me, I briefly consider a raise and blatantly go to my chips before I just check. I have both post-flop opponents covered but UTG is only a stack or so shorter than me. He has about $1300 behind, I have about $1400 or so.

6 to the flop ($60): J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, UTG bets $50. LP limper calls, I make it $250 to go, to try to win it right there.

UTG thinks and thinks. He looks at me and goes "I put you on AJ". And he raises $250 more. LP thinks and thinks, and finally calls for his whole stack.

I fold. My cards bounced off the dealer's hand, and I got lots of ooohs and aahs at the table. I didn't say anything, but I don't see how this is a tough fold.

Comments? Flop action?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Goodbye QQ

pretty simple fold there. why didn't you raise preflop?
Old 10-31-2004, 05:47 PM

maybe it's not true at stakes you play, but whenever an opponent comments on his play, it seems as they have monsters.

if he can beat J's, he can probably beat Q's
Old 10-31-2004, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check, UTG bets $50. LP limper calls, I make it $250 to go, to try to win it right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a showdownable hand, not 72o. why do you want to win it right there?

the fold is fine though, plenty of people limp reraise big pairs UTG. the check preflop is interesting but I think it's ok also.

--turnipmonster
Old 10-31-2004, 08:21 PM

Why didn't you raise preflop? You have a good but vulnerable hand and you are out of position against multiple limpers.

I would have made it 60 to go preflop. You either win it right there, get one or two callers, or get reraised by the utg limper. If you get reraised you can dump it preflop and you save $200 compared to the way you played it.

If you get called you bet somewhere around the pot on the flop and if you get raised you can fold but you still saved money compared to your $250 checkraise. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:44 PM

Since you're playing out-of-position with a strong, yet vulnerable hand, I don't like limping with pocket Qs against 3 or more opponents. Not only do you give A-x/K-x a cheap price to see the flop, but you're also giving connectors and pocket pairs an easy way to outdraw you. But because you DID limp btf, I think the check-raise on the flop is good for two reasons: (1) you're able to evaluate the strength of your opponents' hands before making your initial move, & (2) you get to represent something stronger than what you actually have, like a spiked set.

The fact that UTG re-raises your c/r, though, indicates to me that he can beat Queens, especially since he said that AJ wasn't good. (Queens are only a hair better in this scenario...) I think UTG either spiked a set or has a bigger overpair (AA/KK, which he was hoping to re-raise before the flop), while LP has pair &/or str8 draw.

Your cute little trap didn't work on the flop...you gotta lay this one down.

ps~ your move would be more appropriate for limit play...
Old 10-31-2004, 09:52 PM

I really dont like how you checked the big blind preflop. You get no information on what anybody has.

With so many limpers, I would either try to isolate the field by raising to 60-80 or just do a "information" raise to 40-50 to see what Im up against.

You might be up vs a two pair (not likely), set (very likely, JJ, 99, 44), or a overpair from utg , and a open ender from lp...

I would of maybe just reraised to $150 on the flop to see where Im at, but $250 is not bad, but your becoming pot committed.

I got to go, ehhh.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if he can beat J's, he can probably beat Q's

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THIS is profound. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]