Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-07-2005, 11:39 AM

Default slow down w/ quads?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($135.40)
Button ($177.30)
Hero ($99)
BB ($72.35)
UTG ($81.22)
MP ($92.95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, MP calls $2, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, Hero (poster) calls $1.50, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($12) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $8, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds.

Turn: ($28) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: ($28) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, UTG calls $20.

Final Pot: $68
Old 12-07-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: slow down w/ quads?

The hand is fine for these limits, how long had you been sitting? I do this almost everytime unless the table is particularly passive, it will be great for diamond flush draws that smell the turn weakness, couple that with the ubiquitous overplay when an ace is out and you are going to extract plenty of value.

cambraceres
Old 12-07-2005, 11:50 AM

I bet $20 on this turn and something like $50 on the river if called.

There is no flushdraw out there and he will check behind with a decent ace very often for pot control (and other reasons as well).
Old 12-07-2005, 11:51 AM

Villain has you on an A, keep betting like you do. If he folds it's because he doesn't have a draw and can't beat an A, neither of which pay you off on the river. Just a make a bet on the turn that prices him in.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 PM

15 on the turn. It is hard to extract with quads in holdem since it's almost impossible for someone to make a good enough 2nd best hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:51 PM

i vote for betting the turn 15-20.

you're either gettin paid, or you aren't.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:59 PM

I think a turn check is alright if you're looking to represent JT.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:13 PM

not to get too OT, but every addition to your avatar scares me that much more.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Why try to represent JT here? Why not represent AJ instead with a turn bet? This is one of the rare situations where you can actually get paid off with quads -- he's not going to put you on an 8, or 88, unless he's a weak-tighty who will have nightmares of 98. Given his flop call, the only hand he's probably worried about is 99, and if he has a decent ace he's not going to fold because of that.

It's possible he called on the flop w/not much hoping to bluff you off it on turn. So checking turn might get a bluff out of him which you'd lose if you bet. But this is highly doubtful on this flop, especially given his call of pot-sized bet led into PFR with 3 people left to act behind him. So he's got something he probably likes well enough, and will likely call you down. I'd say AQ is probable. He doesn't have a diamond flush draw, unless he's very aggressive preflop and has JdTd, which is doubtful (and if true, will also call or raise a turn bet). You've got a chance to stack him, or close to it. I'd bet 20 on turn, stick most of the rest in on river.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:09 PM

BTW, PoBoy, I understand what you're trying to say is that if you're representing JT he'll bet turn. But even if he puts JT in your hand range after you check turn, he's still likely to check behind -- he's just not going to assign JT enough probability after you lead flop for 2/3 pot into PFR and 5 others. Only way he's going to bet here is if he has a hand that would have called a turn and river bet from you anyway. And even if he does bet, what are you going to do then? Raise? Call and lead river? You can't call and check river, he'll check behind with lots of stuff. Either line is much more likely to induce a fold IMO than just betting turn and river.