Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Woman Kicked of Southwest flight for political T shirt

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That 'clear variation' of the F word, was shown day-and-night on TV and print ads for the mainstream movie referenced. Viewable by impressionable children, etc. etc. Everyone went 'wink wink.' So this notion that the woman wearing the T-shirt was hassled for an 'obscenity,' as opposed to a political opinion, is nonsense.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading the posts.

The article said that the shirt had "...a phrase similar to the popular film, Meet the Fockers." That means that she was not wearing a "Meet the Fockers" t-shirt.

We who read the post are all assuming from the article that the "o" was replaced with a "u" on the shirt, and that was what people objected to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. Your right, I was wrong.

Too bad. I think not using the 'u' would have made the shirt just as effective a political statement, without breaking any rules. As it stands, she did wear a shirt with a recognized obscenity, and hence she doesn't have much of a case against Southwest.

Frank
Old 10-06-2005, 09:48 PM

You know what I can't figure out? She was willing to cover up the shirt with a sweatshirt she had, but unwilling to either put on said sweatshirt or turn her t-shirt inside out?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Okay...yes...I agree with that. I was referring to the example at hand, not a general business practice.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Next time, just wear the damned thing inside out and don't get the damned lawyers involved. Then turn it right side out when you're getting off the plane. Wouldn't that have been easier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but not potentially as profitable.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:22 PM

The people who complained about the T-Shirts are idiots.

Getting upset about F-Words on T-Shirts (or internet forums) is OK for the Leave it to Beaver crowd. It is pretty much part of the lexicon today, from middle school upwards (for better or for worse).
Old 10-07-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is pretty much part of the lexicon today, from middle school upwards (for better or for worse).

[/ QUOTE ]

It got to be that way because people did not complain and because teachers are too scared to tell children that they are doing something wrong, for fear of traumatising them or being sued for infringement of free speech.

"Everyone does it" is not an excuse for incivility and rudeness, any more than it is a justification for a young child to get a tattoo or to smoke dope. People who do not object to rude behaviour are cowardly and contribute to the problem. People who are rude or who excuse rudeness on the basis that everyone does it are sheep following the herd.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:52 PM

Something being commonplace doesn't make it less obscene.

It comes down to this:
You have a right to say/wear what you want.

Other people have a right to react to what you say/wear.

Private businesses have a right to make decisions based on any criteria they want.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Private businesses have a right to make decisions based on any criteria they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case clearly dropping the F-bomb on a shirt was out of line and I have no problem with Southwest making the decision it did. However private companies that use public property (like airports) and public employees (like flight controllers) can't just make decisions like this willy-nilly: for example, Southwest should have no more right to throw me off for wearing a Kerry-Edwards shirt than it would for someone wearing an Alaska Airlines logo.

Anyway, they should have just made her step outside for 10 minutes like they do in WSOP. (Now that's a stupid F-bomb rule IMHO.)
Old 10-07-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The people who complained about the T-Shirts are idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

We have become quite the whiney little bitch of a nation, haven't we?

I wonder if she would have put a little piece of tape on her shirt, converting the u to an o if the complainers would have shut up. Doubt it.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In this case clearly dropping the F-bomb on a shirt was out of line and I have no problem with Southwest making the decision it did. However private companies that use public property (like airports) and public employees (like flight controllers) can't just make decisions like this willy-nilly: for example, Southwest should have no more right to throw me off for wearing a Kerry-Edwards shirt than it would for someone wearing an Alaska Airlines logo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget they are an industry heavily subsidized by the government

Melch