Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: A Challenge to Liberals from Jaxmike

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What's interesting is that a Republican President along with a Republican Congress brought us much closer to nationalized health-care with the passing of the prescription drug plan. Anyone who thinks Republicans are fiscally conservative is sadly mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um....not sure I agree

Most countries pool all their 'Medicaid equivalent' programs and use the combined buying power to negotiate cheap drug prices for everyone in the program.

A major part of the prescription bill specifically made this illegal in the U.S. Our taxpayers pay much higher prices for our prescription recipients than do their Canadian or Australian equivalents because of this clause.

This is significantly more of a subsidy to corporate drug makers (at the cost of the electorate) than any sort of socialized medicine bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it is definitely a subsidy. But isn't it also a step towards socialized medicine because seniors now get drugs for free whereas before they had to pay out-of-pocket?

Do you think this bill was passed in response to the threats of American citizens re-importing cheap drugs from foreign countries?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that it is definitely a subsidy. But isn't it also a step towards socialized medicine because seniors now get drugs for free whereas before they had to pay out-of-pocket?

Do you think this bill was passed in response to the threats of American citizens re-importing cheap drugs from foreign countries?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an expert on the whole bill, but the AARP says that it enraged both the right and the left. Right bcz entitlement and left bcz subsidy.

I agree it can be viewed as a step towards soc. medicine, but as stated, I think the larger issue is the corporate subsidy at the cost of American taxpayers.

Logically, it seems that it was a response to cheaper foreign drugs, but I have no firsthand info to back that up.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No matter how accurate you are, or how much sense you make, the leftists on this forum are too stupid, stubborn, and arrogant to agree with you. They want a strong Politburo and Big Brother knows best...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am flattered.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No matter how accurate you are, or how much sense you make, the leftists on this forum are too stupid, stubborn, and arrogant to agree with you. They want a strong Politburo and Big Brother knows best...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused I thought it was the right who wanted government to micro-manage our lives, and inspect every detail of our daily routines.

Mack
Old 09-06-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused I thought it was the right who wanted government to micro-manage our lives, and inspect every detail of our daily routines.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the opposite of what the "right" is supposed to want.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the opposite of what the "right" is supposed to want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anti-terror legislation is all right wing legislation, racial profiling, stop and search for no reason, shoot to kill - people who shuffle to catch trains, curtailment of freedom of speech. The list goes on.

Mack
Old 09-06-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anti-terror legislation is all right wing legislation,

[/ QUOTE ]

I am all for anti-terror legislation. You are against it?

[ QUOTE ]
racial profiling,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really against it. I think it, unfortunately, works to some extent. Is it fair, that's the question. In some situations I have NO problem at all with it. In others, I think its bad policy.

[ QUOTE ]
stop and search for no reason,

[/ QUOTE ]

Examples?

[ QUOTE ]
shoot to kill

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the situation. I am for it in certain situations, against it in the vast majority.

[ QUOTE ]
- people who shuffle to catch trains,

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

[ QUOTE ]
curtailment of freedom of speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

Examples?

[ QUOTE ]
The list goes on.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks to me like it stopped...
Old 09-06-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anti-terror legislation is all right wing legislation,

[/ QUOTE ]

I am all for anti-terror legislation. You are against it?

[ QUOTE ]
racial profiling,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really against it. I think it, unfortunately, works to some extent. Is it fair, that's the question. In some situations I have NO problem at all with it. In others, I think its bad policy.

[ QUOTE ]
stop and search for no reason,

[/ QUOTE ]

Examples?

[ QUOTE ]
shoot to kill

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the situation. I am for it in certain situations, against it in the vast majority.

[ QUOTE ]
- people who shuffle to catch trains,

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

[ QUOTE ]
curtailment of freedom of speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

Examples?

[ QUOTE ]
The list goes on.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks to me like it stopped...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in favour of anti-terror legislation that has some effect on terrorism, and is not worse for society then terrorism itself. I think racial profiling stinks, but I can't argue against it, other than it's inherent unfairness.

If I am stopped because I am Asian or Black, then that is no more than creeping racism, it isn't a good reason (as discussed above), the police will stop my Black or Asian bank manager and while they talk to him a dozen white car thieves, drug dealers and muggers will walk past.

I am against a blanket shoot to kill policy, it's harder to apply this to the US though because at least your police are more familiar with the concept of making decisions on whether or not to kill someone. The main problem with the UK is that police only shoot a couple of people a year, most of them are carrying table legs or catching a train to work.

We all know radical Muslim clerics are being deported (or will be), due to the content of their sermons. Even though I despise the words they utter, I think this may be a mistake, we are stooping to their level.

Yes it stopped [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], I have limited time here.

Regards Mack
Old 09-06-2005, 09:54 PM

I think you are ranting
Old 09-06-2005, 10:14 PM

last i saw, Jaxmike fled the forum with his bigoted tail between his legs. he was caught in many contradictions (lies) and never really contributed anything. he said he'd come back under an alias... but 'jackwhite' left too.

he he. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]