Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Hit and Run Auto Accident by a Bunch of Drunk Mexicans.

[ QUOTE ]
They got caught. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Several border hospitals closed because of illegals getting medical care and not paying. So they go to the county hospitals for free care. They still don't pay. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one can argue with your evidence ...

Because you didn't provide any.

Way to bloviate!

[Edit] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Share your experiences with illegal immigrants

As a group they are pretty much like every other group. Sopme are complete prics, most of the others are hard-working and honest.

For the most part, I think they tend to work harder and obey the rules since it took quite a bit of ambition to get here in the first place and that their stay is based on not showing up on the radar. They tend to also get screwed more by dishonest employers and shake down artists since they don't have any legal recourse available to them

I'd prefer to have more illegals doing the menial labor than H1-B visas coming over with an 'engineering or science degree' taking the hi-tech jobs away from US Citizens.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:02 PM

My experience has been pretty good.

<--------------
Old 08-28-2005, 12:27 PM

I often go to Fallbrook, north of San Diego, where avocado farming is huge. Those avocados would simply not get picked without them. No one would do it. They support the economy in numerous ways. I think there should be ways for laborers to come over fairly easily, with strict deportation rules for any criminals and citizenship after a long period of good work. People get far too protectionist over our minimum wage jobs and hard labor jobs.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those avocados would simply not get picked without them. No one would do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not at the wages they make, but those avocados would get picked if there was a profit to be made. I think it is a common mistake to assume that so many things would simply not get done without illegal immigrants.

In states with very low illegal immigration, things get done. As an example (and there are many), look at the lawn mowing industry. When I grew up back East, I mowed tons of lawns as a high school kid. The wages sucked, but I did it because I wanted the money and because someone was willing to pay me. But today in Los Angeles, lawn mowing has become the domain of illegal immigrants.

I have no problem with that, but to suggest that no one would mow lawns if there were no illegal immigrants is wrong. Someone would do it, and the market would find a (low) wage for them. Now perhaps picking avocados is harder work (I don't know, I had to work with some god-awful lawn mowers), but the same principles still apply.

As for illegal immigrants' benefit or detriment to the economy as a whole, that's another discussion.

-ptmusic
Old 08-28-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I went to Miami, the lady behind the Gas Station counter couldn't tell me where the Dr. Pepper was, because she couldn't understand me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had that same problem; I'll order something from the local fast food place and get the wrong thing because the person taking orders doesn't really speak english :-p

Edit: granted, I do have a little bit of an accent myself due to a disability, which is why I never make an issue of it
Old 08-29-2005, 02:33 PM

The illegal immigrants I have known have worked VERY hard, worked very long hours, and were very clean people (cleaner than the average American for sure). By the way, they were Brazilian.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:50 PM

The avocados would get picked, but they would cost a lot more than they do now.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:35 PM

My experience stems from the restaurant business. The illegal immigrants were always the hardest and most diligent workers. My sample size is fairly large, as I had been around restaurants in some capacity from ages 12 through 26.

Also, a lot of them paid taxes and none of them filed for fear of being discovered, so Uncle Sam definately benefited from them.

I once worked with a cook who had not taken a vacation of any sort for 8 years. He had called in sick less than 3 times during that span, and was not late more than once.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:14 PM

When i lived in Tenerife 2 Russian girls lived next door. They were working in the timeshare sales and living and working in Spain illegally. I don't wish to go into details but my experieces with them were very positive.